Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things that annoyed you in fan-fiction
What are the things that grind your gears when it comes to reading a fan-fiction? State your reasoning here!
[Image: n1TkH4U.png]

"Mess with the Walt,"
"And you get the Salt."

Content: My Art | No More Heroes | Good Days | Kaiju Man | BoogaVerse
I've read plenty of fanfic in my life but perhaps my biggest pet peeve is how the characters in the fanfic ultimately have their personality completely butchered from its source material.

I can make exceptions if it's some kind of role-switch Alternate Universe, but I just want their character to remain at least somewhat intact. Just grant me this one wish, Great Witch Beatriiiiiiice!  Argh
[Image: tumblr_oo261oLTA31w7hjwfo2_500.gif]
"Seek the old blood. But beware the frailty of men. Their wills weak, minds young."
(01-03-2017, 03:29 PM)LoopyPanda Wrote: I've read plenty of fanfic in my life but perhaps my biggest pet peeve is how the characters in the fanfic ultimately have their personality completely butchered from its source material.

I can make exceptions if it's some kind of role-switch Alternate Universe, but I just want their character to remain at least somewhat intact. Just grant me this one wish, Great Witch Beatriiiiiiice!  Argh

This.

Another thing that annoys me about fan-fiction is the god awful grammar and structure. Not saying that my writing style is any better, but good lord.

"Mess with the Walt,"
"And you get the Salt."

True. PSA, there's quite a difference between grabbing someone's waist and grabbing someone's waste...  Kat Dude
"Seek the old blood. But beware the frailty of men. Their wills weak, minds young."
(01-16-2017, 04:54 PM)LoopyPanda Wrote: True. PSA, there's quite a difference between grabbing someone's waist and grabbing someone's waste...  Kat Dude

Kek

To add more of your initial comment regarding the character's personality(ies), I never understood of completely screwing the series' plot in order make some shit happen. If you have to go that far to complete disregard someone's personality in order to make a story work, it's clear you shouldn't be writing it in the first place.

"Mess with the Walt,"
"And you get the Salt."

I think the worst is the trend where they take series that are fantastic in genre/lore (i.e. magic, etc) and shove all the characters in the most normal, bland, "coffee shop" alternate universe. As in, they take the characters and just stick em in a boring ass setting. I read Harry Potter because of how UNLIKE the real world it is! I don't want to read some boring thing about if Harry was some normie!!!

I'd prefer if they took the normal "realistic" settings and made more fantastical AUs, but it's rare to find a good fanfic like that.
when people put oc as children of main characters......
[Image: 2rpaa2a.gif]
太上無敗,其次敗而有以成,此之謂用民 ~ 墨子
To add to what Fullblue said, putting self inserts into an established canon's lore in order to make that insert more important in the story. Especially if the source material allows for a completely original story with original characters.
[Image: heracross.gif]
There might not be true heroes anymore, but that doesn't mean I can't try!
You mean like creating long lost children of villains or heroes? Because I hate those the most. Most of those children are bland or stupid and annoying...
Pretty much. It would also include making them the parents or masters (in the case of martial arts series) of said characters. A way of making them important without putting in any effort to make them unique.
[Image: heracross.gif]
There might not be true heroes anymore, but that doesn't mean I can't try!