Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things that annoyed you in fan-fiction
(01-20-2017, 06:41 PM)LoopyPanda Wrote: I think the worst is the trend where they take series that are fantastic in genre/lore (i.e. magic, etc) and shove all the characters in the most normal, bland, "coffee shop" alternate universe. As in, they take the characters and just stick em in a boring ass setting. I read Harry Potter because of how UNLIKE the real world it is! I don't want to read some boring thing about if Harry was some normie!!!

I'd prefer if they took the normal "realistic" settings and made more fantastical AUs, but it's rare to find a good fanfic like that.

So much this Pls

Especially when they made no attempt to mention of what the series is about and practically into a slice-of-life scenario
What grinds my gears is when they take existing notions, like harry potters statute of secrecy and toss it to the wind in hopes that it would create a better story.
[Image: judaisig_zpszntawxfg.png?w=480&h=480&fit=clip]
I don't want to sound like a spoilsport but I absolutely HATE it when people tag fics as "ship/ship" but in reality their fic doesn't even have any passing mention of the ship. Or if they do, it's honestly written in a way that makes it clear to you that they actually hate the ship. Why even bother tagging it with the ship then?? I can't count how many times I've gone into AO3 expecting to see some Mercy/Reaper and end up with so many fics where it's actually Gency or Mercy76.....and with Reaper being Mercy's rapist or would-be rapist. It's absolutely despicable and I HATE it. Like, we get it, you don't like the ship!!!! Stop tagging your hatefics with the ship or just don't tag it with the ship at all if there's NOTHING about the ship in there!!!  Kat Slam
[Image: QhdP6y5.png]

A single death can change everything.
☆ Graphics requests: OPEN 
(01-27-2018, 11:58 PM)Elio Wrote: I don't want to sound like a spoilsport but I absolutely HATE it when people tag fics as "ship/ship" but in reality their fic doesn't even have any passing mention of the ship. Or if they do, it's honestly written in a way that makes it clear to you that they actually hate the ship. Why even bother tagging it with the ship then?? I can't count how many times I've gone into AO3 expecting to see some Mercy/Reaper and end up with so many fics where it's actually Gency or Mercy76.....and with Reaper being Mercy's rapist or would-be rapist. It's absolutely despicable and I HATE it. Like, we get it, you don't like the ship!!!! Stop tagging your hatefics with the ship or just don't tag it with the ship at all if there's NOTHING about the ship in there!!!  Kat Slam

Oh boy, I didn't even know Overwatch even have enough content to warranted a fan-fiction since there's so little of it currently. Speaking of the subject of rape, I never grew so disinterest of the topic whenever it appears in any media of how it is used, portrayed and the overall effect on the narrative as the long; fan-fiction takes it on a whole another level.

Whenever I see a fan-fiction, which happens to have a major female player, whether original or draw from the canon, it suspecting that she will get rape in some fashion. 

Author wrote themselves to a corner and need something to happen to the woman to inspire the main protagonist in someway? Let's have the woman he knows raped. Need some tension in the story? Let's throw in rape. It's a series that is known for being a simple story (such as fighting, silly stuff, etc.)? Let's throw in rape into it for no reason at all, especially to push the story into "dark zone".

It becomes apparent when female characters are often a target of this heinous crime, as if it's the only thing that can create an traumatic dynamic in the story. It's basically the typical "my parents died" trope due to how overused, predictable it has become. Often times, I think that it's pretty damn sexism where women (yes, there are fanfics where men get the same treatment, but only most common in yaoi stories) are the prime target of this trope as if women cannot be affected any anything else other than that Thinking

Sexual assault in any story can be a effective tool, but only in a way that it draws from the disturbing thought of how it entails the story. If it thrown story just to spice things, it becomes less effective when the story continues forward, especially when you are making light of the subject. The subject is hard to understand, especially if it comes from a perspective of someone who fails to do proper basic research. Hence why I vouch that if you're going to do a story, any story, and you happen to try to implement this concept into the story, if it has no business being there and there are plenty of ways to do so, don't do it.
I despise rape or sexual abuse as a plot for fanfiction, it's ALWAYS handled so poorly it makes my blood boil. Find a better way to put these characters together that doesn't require something so extreme!

Especially for a fandom like Overwatch where we literally have the full liberty to make up whatever we want since Blizzard isn't going to interfere with anything past the bare minimum