Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things that annoyed you in fan-fiction
(01-20-2017, 06:41 PM)LoopyPanda Wrote: I think the worst is the trend where they take series that are fantastic in genre/lore (i.e. magic, etc) and shove all the characters in the most normal, bland, "coffee shop" alternate universe. As in, they take the characters and just stick em in a boring ass setting. I read Harry Potter because of how UNLIKE the real world it is! I don't want to read some boring thing about if Harry was some normie!!!

I'd prefer if they took the normal "realistic" settings and made more fantastical AUs, but it's rare to find a good fanfic like that.

So much this Pls

Especially when they made no attempt to mention of what the series is about and practically into a slice-of-life scenario
[Image: n1TkH4U.png]

"Mess with the Walt,"
"And you get the Salt."

Content: My Art | No More Heroes | Good Days | Kaiju Man | BoogaVerse
What grinds my gears is when they take existing notions, like harry potters statute of secrecy and toss it to the wind in hopes that it would create a better story.
[Image: judaisig_zpszntawxfg.png?w=480&h=480&fit=clip]
I don't want to sound like a spoilsport but I absolutely HATE it when people tag fics as "ship/ship" but in reality their fic doesn't even have any passing mention of the ship. Or if they do, it's honestly written in a way that makes it clear to you that they actually hate the ship. Why even bother tagging it with the ship then?? I can't count how many times I've gone into AO3 expecting to see some Mercy/Reaper and end up with so many fics where it's actually Gency or Mercy76.....and with Reaper being Mercy's rapist or would-be rapist. It's absolutely despicable and I HATE it. Like, we get it, you don't like the ship!!!! Stop tagging your hatefics with the ship or just don't tag it with the ship at all if there's NOTHING about the ship in there!!!  Kat Slam
[Image: R4AmrKN.png]
☆☆☆
"No sweat. I got your back."
☆ Graphics requests: OPEN 
(01-27-2018, 11:58 PM)Elio Wrote: I don't want to sound like a spoilsport but I absolutely HATE it when people tag fics as "ship/ship" but in reality their fic doesn't even have any passing mention of the ship. Or if they do, it's honestly written in a way that makes it clear to you that they actually hate the ship. Why even bother tagging it with the ship then?? I can't count how many times I've gone into AO3 expecting to see some Mercy/Reaper and end up with so many fics where it's actually Gency or Mercy76.....and with Reaper being Mercy's rapist or would-be rapist. It's absolutely despicable and I HATE it. Like, we get it, you don't like the ship!!!! Stop tagging your hatefics with the ship or just don't tag it with the ship at all if there's NOTHING about the ship in there!!!  Kat Slam

Oh boy, I didn't even know Overwatch even have enough content to warranted a fan-fiction since there's so little of it currently. Speaking of the subject of rape, I never grew so disinterest of the topic whenever it appears in any media of how it is used, portrayed and the overall effect on the narrative as the long; fan-fiction takes it on a whole another level.

Whenever I see a fan-fiction, which happens to have a major female player, whether original or draw from the canon, it suspecting that she will get rape in some fashion. 

Author wrote themselves to a corner and need something to happen to the woman to inspire the main protagonist in someway? Let's have the woman he knows raped. Need some tension in the story? Let's throw in rape. It's a series that is known for being a simple story (such as fighting, silly stuff, etc.)? Let's throw in rape into it for no reason at all, especially to push the story into "dark zone".

It becomes apparent when female characters are often a target of this heinous crime, as if it's the only thing that can create an traumatic dynamic in the story. It's basically the typical "my parents died" trope due to how overused, predictable it has become. Often times, I think that it's pretty damn sexism where women (yes, there are fanfics where men get the same treatment, but only most common in yaoi stories) are the prime target of this trope as if women cannot be affected any anything else other than that Thinking

Sexual assault in any story can be a effective tool, but only in a way that it draws from the disturbing thought of how it entails the story. If it thrown story just to spice things, it becomes less effective when the story continues forward, especially when you are making light of the subject. The subject is hard to understand, especially if it comes from a perspective of someone who fails to do proper basic research. Hence why I vouch that if you're going to do a story, any story, and you happen to try to implement this concept into the story, if it has no business being there and there are plenty of ways to do so, don't do it.

"Mess with the Walt,"
"And you get the Salt."

I despise rape or sexual abuse as a plot for fanfiction, it's ALWAYS handled so poorly it makes my blood boil. Find a better way to put these characters together that doesn't require something so extreme!

Especially for a fandom like Overwatch where we literally have the full liberty to make up whatever we want since Blizzard isn't going to interfere with anything past the bare minimum
[Image: tumblr_oo261oLTA31w7hjwfo2_500.gif]
"Seek the old blood. But beware the frailty of men. Their wills weak, minds young."
[+] 1 user Likes LoopyPanda's post
Pretty much. I'll instantly rate any fan-fiction a flat out 0 if I find a story that uses the "woman gets raped/nearly raped/discussion of rape" but never actually discuss the consequences of the act later on, as if it was practically just there in order to make some fake tension. 

If you don't know the severity of a topic you're bringing in and not willingly going to go balls deep into the subject, don't do it in the first place. It's not romantic, it's not some silly gimmick and it's not some plot device for women.

"Mess with the Walt,"
"And you get the Salt."

[+] 1 user Likes ShineCero's post
Gratuitous crossovers. I can't tell the number of times scrolling through Spider-Man artwork produced single panels of Spider-Man and MLP fanfic things.

Especially when they replace the context of the heroic action to having him save the writer's freaking waifu instead of whoever it was.
[Image: 4HzrcJy.png]

I don't believe in bleak horizons, I won't concede to all of that. What we need is something different. What we all need is a... Steam Powered Griaffe!

RP Characters.
Mysterious Summons: Malefor, Rex Marksley.
Another thing I dislike in fan-fictions is using a canon character, but strips them from their core of their personalities, their canon status and their history, despite the fact that the selling point is an adventures of that character. If you're going to change their abilites that much in a story, either don't advertise your works as "an continuation"  or stated that the character in question has a new personality (which, at this point, effectively renders them as an OC).

"Mess with the Walt,"
"And you get the Salt."

Fanfics are pretty tough to read nowadays because they usually revolve around 3 major things (At least from all the ones I've seen/read)

1. Shipping
2. Breaking canon
3. Making OC god in selected canon.

I have no problem with shipping, in fact, I'm a huge fan of it sometimes. However, I don't go overboard and respect (To the best of my abilities) the laws and rules of the story I'm making a FF about. Sure, I can make a random shipping that isn't official, but I at least TRY to keep the characters to their original personalities and hope I can work around it somehow. 

When it comes to canon, people don't know what the word really means and associate it with with the wrong 'official' stuff. Most of the times, it's usually the things that a majority of people don't like that are considered 'non-canon', which is not true. In FF, not only do they gloriously break all the rules and spirit of the show, they tend to bring their own ridiculous cliches and tropes to an already established story because it would 'look cooler' when in reality it either makes it look so edgy or dumb that it becomes a comedy. I see this so much in DBZ, Naruto, and OPM Fanfics that it drives me away from reading them altogether. 

The last thing that gets on my nerves is when people add an OC to the mix. While there is nothing wrong with making an OC in a specific universe, the problem lies in how you present your OC. If your OC follows the rules of the universe and makes the best with those rules then you can make your OC pass by as an actual character stuck in the universe of your picking. HOWEVER, when you make your OC the legendary SSJ Pokemon Master with all the Tailed Beasts inside you and know all the forbidden techniques because you were born under the sign of the GODS... then you lose all credibility in my eyes. It just gets so boring to read the same God-like OC doing the same God-Like stuff. Why not make a character that struggles instead of having them already know everything? I don't know, it gets predictable and very boring to read...

That's my two sense of it tho'.
[Image: Two_Birds.png]

The Fuck You Say You To Me..?!