Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What went wrong with Steven Universe?
The series started off, in my personal opinion, off with a decent start. However, season 2 started and began the all the problems this show keeps fumbling over. Garnet's future vision not using half of the time. Steven never asking questions. The inconsistency of their strength and abilities. Pink Diamond being regulated as her death being "mysterious", but never actually address the elephant of the room, Pink Diamond's characterization as being villainous by Garnet and Pearl, and the entirely of the cluster arc.

So what with wrong with Steven Universe?
I personally think the show started off pretty strong and had a lot of potential for what it can do in the future, even with the whole gender roles/identities. However, this was ruined by poor writing in my opinion. Sugar and her team have horrible writing and can't seem to focus on the plot for more than an episode. Everything is usually fixed by Steven either crying or saying something about friendship, barely anything is spoken about the plot when it's actually kinda interesting.

I just feel that there is a lot Sugar can do with the story of Steven Universe, Homeworld, and the other characters but it looks like the show is catering more to Tumblr than anything...
[Image: Mob-Psycho-100-One-Punch-Man.gif]

???%
I kinda feel like that's sorta just the structure of how they do plots in those kinds of cartoons, doesn't really follow a super organized through line or anything and unfolds slowly and sporadically. This latest season appears more focused at least though. I will say regarding the whole Pink Diamond thing that villainous or no for a gem to shatter another gem seems a rather unheard of thing in their culture, that was the impression I got anyway. What they do to miscreants and defects sort of becomes a question though if to shatter someone is so rare.
(12-30-2017, 09:13 PM)~ Z ~ Wrote: I personally think the show started off pretty strong and had a lot of potential for what it can do in the future, even with the whole gender roles/identities. However, this was ruined by poor writing in my opinion. Sugar and her team have horrible writing and can't seem to focus on the plot for more than an episode. Everything is usually fixed by Steven either crying or saying something about friendship, barely anything is spoken about the plot when it's actually kinda interesting.

I just feel that there is a lot Sugar can do with the story of Steven Universe, Homeworld, and the other characters but it looks like the show is catering more to Tumblr than anything...

Actually I don't think it's that shattering itself is rare so much that it was thought impossible to shatter a diamond.
From the the Sevaza System, Planet Nafine! Just who the heck do you think I am?! I'm Alzoru Ledura, the Coral Lindworm!

Listen and be amazed as you hear my roar!
[Image: 2w7lcea.png]
Please check out this. I really want to have a fun successful RP with you guys ;-;

1. More questions are produced than there are being answered. It doesn't help that Steven is not actively involving himself in the lore-- rather than consistently go out of his way to uncover more about Gems and Homeworld (you know, by asking any of the Crystal Gems stuff about his mom/the lore), he'd much prefer to show us how obsessed he is with Connie not texting him for a month and him having fun with the townies to get stuff off his mind while Lars is stranded out in space with mutant alien space rocks.
  2. gratuitous amounts of townie episodes and "we watched anime in the 90s" references that makes Steven Universe basically the same as a typical long-running anime: mountains of filler, not a lot of plot related content. (cough, townie episodes, cough) I don't mind the Townies themselves, but for a show about alien space rocks, it feels like we don't actually know very much about them any more than what we know about the humans.
  3. They wasted an entire season getting us to like Lapis before writing her out of the show (possibly permanently) for the next season or so, when they could have spent those episodes doing something productive with the plot rather than a bunch of 'haha, Lapis and Peridot are so awkward because they know nothing of Earth! Ooh, funnee' types of scenes. Steven has never asked Lapis about Homeworld in the brief time she was there.
In fact, my biggest pet peeve about this show is Steven. He never asks any questions! And the entire story is shown through his perspective, or any flashbacks are triggered by him being there to begin with.