Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Logan Paul slammed for filming suicide victim in vlog
Quote:A popular YouTuber has been heavily criticised for publishing a video showing the body of a suicide victim.

Logan Paul, who has more than 15 million YouTube subscribers, posted a vlog on December 31 called 'We found a dead body in the Japanese Suicide Forest'.

The video opens with a disclaimer about the importance of seeking help when grappling with depression, before Paul addresses the camera directly.

"This is the most real vlog I've ever posted on this channel," the 22-year-old said. "I think this definitely marks a moment in YouTube history."

In the video, Paul - who is American - visits Japan with several of his friends. They made a trip to Aokigahara, a forest at the base of Mt Fuji known for being a common suicide destination.

Before entering the forest, Paul and his friends joke in the car park, with Paul taking care to don his Gucci jacket before they go in. He also repeatedly mispronounces Mt Fuji as 'Fiji', and insists that popular bottled water brand Fiji Water is produced at the mountain.

After walking a short distance into the forest, the group discover a body hanging from a tree.

"I really hate to say this, I think there's someone hanging right there," Paul says to the camera. "I'm not even f***ing kidding."

Paul and his friends film themselves approaching the body, which was fully blurred out when seen from a distance. However there are several close-up shots of the body where only the person's face was blurred.

"Yo are you alive? Are you f***ing with us?" Paul can be heard asking. The person filming stood very close to the body, with Paul noting the man's "purple hands" and that his pockets were still full.

At several points in the video, Paul turns the camera on himself to discuss his feelings of shock. He reiterates that this was the "most real" moment he has ever captured on film and claims the group initially intended to "focus on the haunted aspect" of Aokigahara before finding the body.

Commenters have criticised Paul for behaving inappropriately in the video, such as circling the body with the camera and zooming in on it while screaming "What the f*** is going on?" and "It doesn't make sense bro".

When the person filming him remarks that he "doesn't feel good", Paul mockingly asks him, "What, you never stand next to a dead guy?" before laughing.

After they return to the car park, an official tells Paul he could not enter the restricted area, to which he replies, "You told us a little too late bro, we've seen a little too much already," while laughing.

Commenters on the YouTube video called the vlog "despicable" and "disrespectful and disgusting".

People have also taken to social media to condemn Paul's actions.

logan paul really made a video in a suicide forest made jokes only cared about a haunted aspect, found a dead body and continue filming and zoomed into the dead body then talked about depression while filming the body didn’t think that the person they found has a family. idiot.

— per la (@begsforyou) 

logan paul exploited a persons suicide and FILMED the body after knowing the person was actually dead. if you stan that, youre disgusting. logan paul is disgusting.

— nelly (@GUCCIFlNN) 

i decided to watch the video just to give it a dislike and It’s way worse than just the snippet on twitter. he literally says this makes youtube history, as if this is an achievement or ground-breaking event. logan paul is disgusting 

— david (@thelovelykordei) 

Paul has since deleted the video from his channel, which had been viewed at least 6.3 million times.

Source
Ya know, it's weird, I heard about this...and I was like "who the heck is Logan Paul" and I googled him and I was like "oh that guy from the big tobacco commercial I did that YTP of?!?" and then I was like...."still not sure why I should even care about this guy". Paul said he did it to raise suicide awareness and a lot of people have gone in there with cameras and filmed bodies, there was even a vice documentary about it where they find a hung skeleton in the end. Haven't seen the video personally though so I don't really know the tenor of it but maybe that rubbed people the wrong way?
Logan Paul was one of the many extremely popular people on Vine (its peak was during my sophomore year of high school up until 2014). When Vine shut down, many of these viners migrated to Instagram and YouTube as "comedians" (almost all of them have failed in this aspect because they realize they need longer than 7 seconds of footage to actually earn ad revenue). It's not a bad thing if you don't know who he is, he is exclusively an internet celebrity of the "vlogging" kind. He basically makes money off of acting like the Town Fool for his 8-10 year old fans (which is weird, I thought Vine appealed most to teenagers).

People thpught Jake Paul was bad enough with his Everyday Bro song and his horrid behavior toward his neighbors (along with filming people without permission and not blurring their addresses... like Post Malone). People thought Logan was the smarter brother up until now.

He not only acted disrespectful going to the Suicide Forest acting like he was entering a Haunted House in a theme park, but he also disrespected the poor soul he caught on camera along with many more acts of embarrassing behavior in front of Japanese locals. If you're curious, a youtube search should suffice, almost everyone has archived the vlogs. In the Suicide Forest video, he kept flashing links to his own merchandise, made jokes, but if you're told it's to cope, that is a bold-faced lie. Logan is a narc and probably a sociopath, since he kept turning the camera to film the body and laughed multiple times. He also kept forcing back a smile. The video makes you want to sock him in the face. 

Unfortunately, the only backlash he is getting is from other adults and teens his own age. He actually GAINED subscribers from this debacle, and his legion of gullible children vehemently will defend him. They are gullible enough to fork over 100 bucks for a shitty vinyl backpack, they will easily defend anything he does online. His apology is also iffy and comes off as artificial; this shouldn't come as a surprise since he and his brother have gone to school for acting. His secind apology felt more genuine but ironically was not the one that made #1 on trending.

I watched a video from a Japanese channel that was for teaching others Japanese, and he admitted not a lot of people in Japan knew who he was, they just thought he was some annoying tourist and nothing more until the video went viral. It still angered many Japanese people, and rightfully so.

Logan knew it would get him backlash but he's one of those fools who believes any type of publicity is good publicity.

I can't tolerate even looking at him anymore. Lol
I felt bad for his guide, he had to take the heat for him in some things. (Such as filming at a Buddhist temple and being loud/obnoxious)
So, did google the video....honestly I might've even given him the benefit of the doubt had he not actually deliberately gone through it and censored his F bombs with cutesie rubber duckie noises while he was right by the body. I guess one can do dumb shit in a panic but to sit down in editing with a much more level head and do that (after I'm pretty sure there was a more normal censor bleep used a couple times in the middle) kinda suggests to me that he didn't really take the situation all that seriously. Just that fact that given the circumstances he thought it necessary to censor his language in a video with a real dead man...Jesus! Given that he was in control of what actually made the video and he actually decided to show himself joking around afterward REALLY suggests to be that he might've intended that to have a kind of sardonic vibe. 

Unfortunately as we're seeing more and more over the past couple of years even bad publicity can be of benefit to people and their profile.
He also deliberately took stills of the body and inserted it directly into the thumbnail in post-editing. Disgusting.

Youtube did not remove this video automatically, but would do so to anyone that reuploaded it unedited from his channel. Many Logan Paul videos that didn't even feature the footage of the person were removed as well, but automatically, before being put back up a few days later upon applying for a review of the video.

He and Jake are their current cashcows, so I'm not surprised they're indirectly protecting Logan.
(01-09-2018, 12:13 PM)LoopyPanda Wrote: In the Suicide Forest video, he kept flashing links to his own merchandise, made jokes, but if you're told it's to cope, that is a bold-faced lie. Logan is a narc and probably a sociopath, since he kept turning the camera to film the body and laughed multiple times. He also kept forcing back a smile. The video makes you want to sock him in the face. 

As a means to make a point about psychology, I don't think it's completely fair to make an insinuation that he laughed in amusement of the dead body. His actual reaction seemed to be more of a coping mechanism to lighten the intensity of the situation in his own mind as well as the group's, more so than actual malicious intent or desire to mock the person's death.

But it does stem from the same logical ideology you made about his personality, where he has undoubtedly become a sociopath in his immense fame, fortune and overall invincibility in his attitude as an individual. His entire YT career has been made on the immaturity and overall ability to entertaining a large portion of America living a reckless life with barely any rules or regulations. The video of his trip practically confirms it in the same manner as you describe: he acts like a spoiled rotten child that simply is trying to induce his prepubescent humor onto a culture based on maturity and respect for one another. To him, he probably sees it as one of those comedy shows where he plays some funny cartoon character to contrast a serious strict figure. While most see it for what it really is: some asshat making a fool of himself and disrespecting everyone because he has a fanbase that loves that stupid shit.

So overall, I felt like it should be addressed more than he isn't someone that most likely enjoys the damage of suicide and actually trying to milk the sub count for more money through publicizing death. It was probably just some young punk who thought he could do whatever he want, act however he wanted, and do shit that he thought was revolutionary. Only to find out it was the most immature and asinine thing he could possibly do in disrespecting an entire country.
"What do you call a Vegeta and a Goku? Vegetto sounds alright." - Meet Vegetto
[Image: oVn2qsw.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Vegetto's post
@Vegetto I would like to rephrase my point then; you are right in that I shouldn't assume he's doing it on purpose in terms of how he reacted-- it came off as a bit over-the-top for him, because one second he went from looking stunned, to shouting about the body repeatedly in a... I'm not sure how to describe it. Exaggerative manner? Then again, he overreacts to a lot of seemingly normal things-- it's difficult for me to read him in that moment.

I just don't find his reaction "normal" because usually people would be at least keeping their voice low or saying very little/repeating things in a panicked sort of tone. Here, Logan's kind of just blurting it out repeatedly and flashing his own hoodie by opening up his jacket (perhaps a subliminal message to get his fans to buy his merch...). He also mentions that it was "supposed to be a fun vlog" while still being in the forest... like.. wtf? Lol

but he's probably so used to acting that way on-camera that it probably would not be the same reaction if the camera was off. The whole video just seems really weird to me-- one of his friends told the camera person to give him the camera, but the next thing is that they all go up to the place logan spotted the person. I thought at first the guy meant "gimme the camera, let's go" to leave... not go closer. Unless Logan didn't listen and conveniently cut it out of the video (which is possible). The whole thing gives me weird vibes. After that bit in the forest, he seems to snap back to his usual obnoxious self fairly easily. Maybe he's just desensitized to that sort of thing to a somewhat unsettling degree.

I shouldn't have implied he was doing this with malicious, sadistic intent, since that isn't the same as going in and doing it for views/as a "fun" thing to do (even though it very clearly isn't, those are more exploitative than they are evil). He seems shocked, but in order to find a body, you'd merely have to step over the rope blocking off the path. Eventually, you'll come across at least 1 body. I feel like the camping thing was just for show, and a Plan B in case they didn't find anything so that he would have something to post.

The rest of your post, I agree with though. He needs a big heaping serving of humble pie, but not even his family has publicly said anything about it. Jake (fellow narc) has been silent the whole debacle, and I heard their dad brushed the whole thing off, as if his son didn't just post a vid about finding a dead guy...
(01-09-2018, 10:39 PM)LoopyPanda Wrote: @Vegetto I would like to rephrase my point then; you are right in that I shouldn't assume he's doing it on purpose in terms of how he reacted-- it came off as a bit over-the-top for him, because one second he went from looking stunned, to shouting about the body repeatedly in a... I'm not sure how to describe it. Exaggerative manner? Then again, he overreacts to a lot of seemingly normal things-- it's difficult for me to read him in that moment.

I just don't find his reaction "normal" because usually people would be at least keeping their voice low or saying very little/repeating things in a panicked sort of tone. Here, Logan's kind of just blurting it out repeatedly and flashing his own hoodie by opening up his jacket (perhaps a subliminal message to get his fans to buy his merch...). He also mentions that it was "supposed to be a fun vlog" while still being in the forest... like.. wtf? Lol

but he's probably so used to acting that way on-camera that it probably would not be the same reaction if the camera was off. The whole video just seems really weird to me-- one of his friends told the camera person to give him the camera, but the next thing is that they all go up to the place logan spotted the person. I thought at first the guy meant "gimme the camera, let's go" to leave... not go closer. Unless Logan didn't listen and conveniently cut it out of the video (which is possible). The whole thing gives me weird vibes. After that bit in the forest, he seems to snap back to his usual obnoxious self fairly easily. Maybe he's just desensitized to that sort of thing to a somewhat unsettling degree.

I shouldn't have implied he was doing this with malicious, sadistic intent, since that isn't the same as going in and doing it for views/as a "fun" thing to do (even though it very clearly isn't, those are more exploitative than they are evil). He seems shocked, but in order to find a body, you'd merely have to step over the rope blocking off the path. Eventually, you'll come across at least 1 body. I feel like the camping thing was just for show, and a Plan B in case they didn't find anything so that he would have something to post.

The rest of your post, I agree with though. He needs a big heaping serving of humble pie, but not even his family has publicly said anything about it. Jake (fellow narc) has been silent the whole debacle, and I heard their dad brushed the whole thing off, as if his son didn't just post a vid about finding a dead guy...

Well of course, because you have to take into consideration what this guy is about. He's coming into this forest, willingly knowing he's going to film a body for his YT and he's planning on doing some shit that he thinks is going to be profound suicide awareness stuff in the same style as how he goes about his videos. Undoubtedly, where he is thinking he'll try to show a "real" side of the world, yet at the same time, he goes in to do this shit and doesn't realize just what the fuck he's getting himself into.

Take, IE, the time I first joined AF back when I was 15 years old. At the time, I normally played Dragon Ball Raging Blast with my ex as one of the only bridges to the internet I had. And in most matches, I would pick up Vegetto (surprise surprise), and she would choose Videl. I would mostly win the games, and she made this joke one day that Vegetto looked like a pedo just because of how the character model made him look down at her breasts whenever she was knocked out in the game. Sarcastically jesting at me that he was "Pedo Gito".

And with me being my arrogant, immature and dumbass 15 year old self, I thought that shit was beyond incredible in humor. It was creative, original, and "revolutionary" to me so much, that I ended up making that my original forum name without a second thought. I remember most of the introduction convos I got from people were so awkward in my defense of the name because I was so thick skulled, where I did anything to defend the "humor" behind it. And how it was acceptable to keep, no matter what flimsy ass excuse I made for it.

Then one day, I get a message from AV, telling me that my name was inappropriate and that it needed to be change. Now, me being my dumbass self, I still argued with "Why? What's wrong with it?", getting ready to do the usual "it's just a friendly joke between me and my girlfriend".

The next message was simply, "You don't know what's wrong with your name?"

And it just hit me like a fucking truck. I remember sitting there for a few hours, just thinking about how fucking stupid I must've looked to all these people that didn't know a damn thing about me and the type of message that name was sending.

IMO, I think this kid probably got a reality wake up call like that with the shit storm that came from his video. He probably was initially shocked at first sight of the body, but the fucker has become so detached from reality that he felt like he was big enough in his own little world that he could send some positive message that would make him look like a hero to the world through his channel, and ended up posting this awkward shit instead. He went in to send a message and make a point, one that he didn't clearly understand himself and a message that probably didn't exist at all. Which you can tell in how he awkwardly fumbles through the rest of the video in question: he's trying to say whatever he thinks is profound and what he was intending to make himself look good with, but at the same time, awkwardly trying to lighten the reality of the situation through the only way he knows how: making a joke out of it.

So in a way, I think you're right. But at the same time, I think it has more to do with how he wasn't really intending to publicize and boost his channel through the dead person, but more in the idea that he was going to do some "badass Logan Paul suicide awareness blog that shows him as the realest bruh u ever seen". And then when he finally got confronted with the reality, it just ended up being some shit that looked so random and awkward, you really have no clue what he's trying to do with that video.

Mostly because another small detail is that even though his own family is a bunch of fucking idiots as well trying to defend this, he's stated that he's taking a long break from YT to reflect on this whole event. Which, imo, shows either 2 things:

1) This guy just got a reality check and is going through a growing change to realize just what the fuck is wrong with him.
2) He orchestrated all of this to paint an image for himself, so he's a complete genius that knows how to play an entire society like a professional director and actor in one. Which, given how fucking stupid this guy is, I highly doubt he's that intelligent to fake this whole thing.
[+] 2 users Like Vegetto's post
If it IS a publicity stunt, it'd have to be someone corporate looking for a new edgy way to make more cash off him (but I also don't know who would be this willing to do smth this risky because Logan is pretty lucky not to receive any strike on his channel that we know of, extremely lucky that he isn't being completely slammed by everyone under the sun including his fans). But it is an interesting conspiracy theory, I'll give you that! Wink I mean, Sammyclassicsonicfan tricked people for YEARS thinking he actually acted the way he did on camera until revealing the entire thing was just a carefully planned persona. But that would also mean Jake is also playing a persona made specifically for this kind of attention... I don't think either of them are actually able to do this seamlessly, nor are their friends the sharpest tools in the shed to play along. (I remember one Team 10 member tried to lie and say the fire at Jake's Team 10 house was special effects? What the hell lol). But still a fun conspiracy to entertain myself with late at night. (Maybe Logan and Jake are aliens sent from the Andromeda Galaxy to blend in with human society Lmao)

I really hope this break is a reality check to fix his weird Chaotic Neutral jock mentality, maybe this on top of all the stuff his brother Jake has been caught doing gave him a huge shock. I'd like to believe he is doing this in fear of actual consequences that money or social capital can get him out of. His ego and the people he makes friends with certainly played a part in not giving him the needed introspection to look at himself and ask himself "why the hell am I acting like this".

Karma IS working its magic though-- apparently Maverick Apparel is giving him 7 days to respond to their cease and desist letter over the name of his merchandise (which is also called Maverick, but he didn't realize the name is already copyrighted) before taking legal action, and Youtube took down one of his super clickbait videos that had a raunchy thumbnail that was uploaded a day or so after the apology vid (EDIT: This video titled 'I lost My Virginity' before being changed was still taken down, but it was Jake Paul who uploaded, not Logan.). May this be a lesson learned for any other Youtube stars who decide to "live" their persona 24/7.
[+] 1 user Likes LoopyPanda's post
Lol, right, and yeah, I completely doubt Logan Paul made this video as a persona. It's just something that, possibility wise, could happen no matter how unlikely it may be.

As for the consequences, I also heard that YT was also currently looking into further punishment for his posting as well. With the outcry and also official statements from Japanese police that they would like to question Logan about what he filmed (basically meaning, they would press charges because he actually broke rules of the forest), I think he's probably not going to be welcomed back into Japan for a long time.