Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pokemon Sets for Battle
This is a nifty thread that I thought might help out people try new Pokemon sets that are OP/trollish/unique/useful in battle. This is not only a guide for novice battlers but a challenge for more experienced ones as well. If you see a set you like, try to make it for yourself and try it out in Battle Tree or online. I hope this thread encourages unique sets and the use of different Pokemon all around because it gets boring seeing the same Pokemon over and over again.

So, in order to bring more of a diversity to the thread for the few curious battlers out there, I've set a few rules to hopefully encourage new and creative sets using different Pokemon. Sometimes by looking up the Pokemon's moveset, abilities, and type(s) can completely change the flow of battle. I will also write down all the most interesting sets in a book I have and try them out myself. I strongly encourage everyone to try out sets as well.

RULES
  • No Legendaries - Legendaries are broken as it is. Besides, the chances of you obtaining a LEGIT legendary with Perfect IV and EVs followed by the perfect nature and ability is almost impossible. Let's just toss them out entirely, for the sake of the thread.
  • Avoid using the same Pokemon - Let's give other Pokemon a time to shine. I believe there are no 'bad Pokemon', just wrong sets for certain Pokemon. Try using Pokemon YOU never used. You never know what hidden gems you may find. I'm also tired of seeing the same Pokemon with the same predictable set, after a while, it gets boring.
  • Rules are subject to change/update if needed.
Don't let the rules above intimidate you. There are no 'dumb' sets or 'stupid moves', just trial and error. Overall, if you think a set is interesting, feel free to post it. More importantly, I decided to even make a format for everyone to c/p and fill in the gaps with any interesting set they come up with. Let's all be unique with our sets, and maybe battle each other in them one day.

Each set is under the assumption that each Pokemon has perfect IVs in the needed areas. Basically, each Pokemon has perfect IVs when posting these sets.  

Format:

Pokemon(nickname optional) [ Type/Type 2 ]
EV distribution.
Ability / Nature(s)
Move 1:
Move 2:
Move 3:
Move 4:
Item(s):
Set can be used in: Singles/Double Battles
Why/How you think it works (Optional but recommended.)

Example: 

Scrafty (Thicc) [ Dark/Fighting ]
252 HP / 200 Spe.Def / 56 Attack
Ability: Shed Skin / Nature: Careful
Move 1: Stone Edge
Move 2: Crunch
Move 3: Drain Punch
Move 4: Poison Jab
Item(s): Shell Bell / Assault Vest

Singles and Doubles.

Why/How you think it works: I've used this set before and Scrafty is a huge tank against Special Attacks. He's weak against Fairies but if he's holding Assault vest then he will take any Fairy move very nicely. Shell Bell recovers about 1/8 HP in comparison to the attack you did. Drain Punch and Shell Bell make for a good HP restoring combo in order to not use up a move slot for Rest.

Keep in mind, you can also make sets to support your previous Pokemon if you want. Support Pokemon are more broken than you think. 

Helpful Tips: 
  • If you can find counters to your own sets or someone else, post it. It helps when you see your own weak spot as well as others.
  • Power is not everything. 
  • The more annoying a Pokemon set is, the harder it is to take down.
  • Certain Pokemon shine in double battles rather than singles. 
  • Certain Moves are broken when paired with others.
  • Z-Moves are not just for offensive plays.
  • Certain items have the same effect as others.

I hope you all enjoy making movesets for everyone to try out.
[Image: Two_Birds.png]

The Fuck You Say You To Me..?!
[+] 1 user Likes ~ Z ~'s post
Tbh I haven't attempted Showdown since SuMo came out, so anything I have on-hand may not work for the current meta but I LIVE to piss people off on Showdown, so why not

Seaking [ Water ]
EVs = 120 HP / 252 Atk / 100 SpD / 36 Spe
Lightning Rod / Adamant
Move 1: Poison Jab
Move 2: Megahorn
Move 3: Rain Dance
Move 4: Waterfall
Item(s): Damp Rock
Set can be used in: Double Battles (recommended for pairing with Kingdra or other strong pokemon with the Swift Swim ability, or those whose abilities are amplified in rain).
  • As long as no other pokemon with Lightningrod is in the field, Seaking renders teams that rely on Electric-sweepers completely useless, especially if you are using a team entirely of water (which is what I went with him for). One match involved me fighting someone who was using a Plusle/Minun/Pikachu sweeper set, but they forfeited once they realized Seaking didn't enable them to do anything. lol
  • Sap Sippers like Azumarill will gain an extra immunity if they're paired with a Lightningrod seaking, although the set will have to be adjusted to suit your needs
  • Poison Jab is especially effective to have handy if you choose to send out Kingdra with him; it's good for wrecking fairies with low defense, but not so much against tanks with high physical defense.
  • Megahorn is his most useful move to have because of its high damage output to deal with Grass Types and Psychic Types. This one tends to put quite a dent on Espeon and Umbreon if you set him up with 2x Attack (although their recovery moves may make it harder to accomplish)
  • Rain Dance + Damp Rock is solely to aid pokemon with setups reliant on the Rain (i.e. Swift Swim Kingdra in order to deal hard hits first, etc).
If you are using him for his Lightningrod, please keep in mind that if two Pokemon have Lightningrod in a multi battle, the faster Pokemon will draw the attack. In the event of a speed tie, the Pokemon who has been on the field longest will draw the attack. Meaning, Seaking will 'lose out' to the faster pokemon in the event of this happening since he isn't known for his speed. Seaking is however, not that big a tank, so he needs a good offensive partner that can take out any immediate threats before they do him in.
(07-01-2018, 04:12 PM)LoopyPanda Wrote: Tbh I haven't attempted Showdown since SuMo came out, so anything I have on-hand may not work for the current meta but I LIVE to piss people off on Showdown, so why not

Seaking [ Water ]
Lightning Rod / Adamant
Set can be used in: Double Battles (recommended for pairing with Kingdra or other strong pokemon with the Swift Swim ability, or those whose abilities are amplified in rain).
  • As long as no other pokemon with Lightningrod is in the field, Seaking renders teams that rely on Electric-sweepers completely useless, especially if you are using a team entirely of water (which is what I went with him for). One match involved me fighting someone who was using a Plusle/Minun/Pikachu sweeper set, but they forfeited once they realized Seaking didn't enable them to do anything. lol
  • Sap Sippers like Azumarill will gain an extra immunity if they're paired with a Lightningrod seaking, although the set will have to be adjusted to suit your needs
  • Poison Jab is especially effective to have handy if you choose to send out Kingdra with him; it's good for wrecking fairies with low defense, but not so much against tanks with high physical defense.
  • Megahorn is his most useful move to have because of its high damage output to deal with Grass Types and Psychic Types. This one tends to put quite a dent on Espeon and Umbreon if you set him up with 2x Attack (although their recovery moves may make it harder to accomplish)
  • Rain Dance + Damp Rock is solely to aid pokemon with setups reliant on the Rain (i.e. Swift Swim Kingdra in order to deal hard hits first, etc).
If you are using him for his Lightningrod, please keep in mind that if two Pokemon have Lightningrod in a multi battle, the faster Pokemon will draw the attack. In the event of a speed tie, the Pokemon who has been on the field longest will draw the attack. Meaning, Seaking will 'lose out' to the faster pokemon in the event of this happening since he isn't known for his speed. Seaking is however, not that big a tank, so he needs a good offensive partner that can take out any immediate threats before they do him in.

Love this Seaking set. The Sap Sipper Azumarill combo is wonderful and gives water Pokemon full immunity to any weaknesses (As long as they remain alive lol) I think this Seaking set is a great addition to any Mono-Water team. I would even say this is a good Anti-Electric countermeasure for some of the more stronger Electric types out there. Maybe other Pokemon with Sap Sipper can provide great support to Seaking so he could ultimately be a good sweeper if things go smoothly. Essentially, Seaking only has 1 weakness and he has several moves that can completely counter most grass types (Poison Jab, Ice Beam, etc). 

I'm thinking of adding this set to my game and breed for the luxurious fish.  Oooh Yes

[+] 1 user Likes ~ Z ~'s post
(07-01-2018, 05:21 PM)~ Z ~ Wrote:
(07-01-2018, 04:12 PM)LoopyPanda Wrote: Tbh I haven't attempted Showdown since SuMo came out, so anything I have on-hand may not work for the current meta but I LIVE to piss people off on Showdown, so why not

Seaking [ Water ]
Lightning Rod / Adamant

Love this Seaking set. The Sap Sipper Azumarill combo is wonderful and gives water Pokemon full immunity to any weaknesses (As long as they remain alive lol) I think this Seaking set is a great addition to any Mono-Water team. I would even say this is a good Anti-Electric countermeasure for some of the more stronger Electric types out there. Maybe other Pokemon with Sap Sipper can provide great support to Seaking so he could ultimately be a good sweeper if things go smoothly. Essentially, Seaking only has 1 weakness and he has several moves that can completely counter most grass types (Poison Jab, Ice Beam, etc). 

I'm thinking of adding this set to my game and breed for the luxurious fish.  Oooh Yes

Absolutely! Megahorn's a bit of a double-edged sword due to the probability of missing, bit I haven't found a better alternative that can cover for Dark/Psychic/Grass types when Azumarill isn't around. Goodra's Sap Sipper ability would also be a viable Tank partner if Azumarill is not someone you want in your slot, or need it paired with someone else.

I also think Waterfall is a fairly good water type move on this Seaking vs Aqua Jet because of the added possibility of getting in a flinch. When I played around with both moves on him, I benefited greatly from the occasional flinch that tipped the favors on my side (because we all pray that a 2x boosted poke misses its most deadly move solely to bring down our best ones first). Trick Room users also end up regretting that strategy because it essentially puts Seaking up to go first and can spell trouble if their slowest Pokemon is incapable of dealing with it OR they panic-Tricked you so that your fast hitter loses their priority. So for this fishy, a lot of pros can outweigh his cons
I haven't been active on Pokemon Showdown for a while, but I figure I give out the sets I've been using since Generation 6 debuted. Here's one for Aegislash.

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy  
Ability: Stance Change  
Shiny: Yes  
EVs: 252 HP / 196 SpA / 60 Spe  
Modest Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Autotomize  
- Shadow Ball  
- King's Shield  
- Flash Cannon  

This set is seemingly common, although not as common as the Physical set. I opted for a speedy special attacker Aegislash because most players will not be expecting it (his physical movepool is much more prominent in comparison to his special movepool). This is only used in Single Battles; I haven't tried it out in Doubles, but if you want to take the chance and take this badboy a spin, feel free!

He can definitely tank a earthquake from non-legendaries. ONce hit by a supereffective move such as Fire, Ground or Ghost, Weakness Policy activates, boosting his special and attacking stats by two stages. Remember to use Automoize before the supereffective move to gain that nice speed boost. Once is enough, twice to be extra sure you won't be outspeed by choice-scraf Pokemon. Once he's on the offensive after those stats are in play, he's practically unstoppable.
[Image: VTk3W41.png]

"I have made many enemies in my lifetime, many different kind of enemies; however, you know what all of them have in common?"
"Death."

Content: My Art | No More Heroes | Good Days | Kaiju Man | BoogaVerse
@LoopyPanda : I agree entirely. I think that Seaking set is amazing and I'm going to breed myself a lovely fish to kick some ass in doubles. As for his supporter friend... I got a few up my sleeve.  maybe

@ShineCero : I remember that set and it's such an annoying one at that! It's tough to take it out once it set up and surprisingly very fast thanks to that Autotomize move he has. Thanks to his King's Shield move, any contact will reduce your attack stat, making it even harder to kill. Maybe with the right support Pokemon, I believe this Aegislash would be unstoppable. The only problem I see is that he has no way to defend against his weaknesses or a reliable source of recovery. You better hope that you either outspeed and kill whatever weaknesses you find or hope that the other trainer doesn't have a hard counter like Bisharp or Lucario because I think they resist both of your stabs and can hit your weak spots. 

Bisharp has stab Night Slash and can learn Shadow Claw. Lucario can be either Physical or Special but his movepool is what makes him such a threat with moves like Earthquake, Blaze Kick, Close Combat, and Crunch. His Mega is just another world of problems. 

Overall, nice Pokemon. I think what would work best is if you take out his counters before you perform a sweep. Other than that, he's a powerful Pokemon, especially in singles.

(07-01-2018, 06:34 PM)~ Z ~ Wrote: @LoopyPanda : I agree entirely. I think that Seaking set is amazing and I'm going to breed myself a lovely fish to kick some ass in doubles. As for his supporter friend... I got a few up my sleeve.  maybe

@ShineCero : I remember that set and it's such an annoying one at that! It's tough to take it out once it set up and surprisingly very fast thanks to that Autotomize move he has. Thanks to his King's Shield move, any contact will reduce your attack stat, making it even harder to kill. Maybe with the right support Pokemon, I believe this Aegislash would be unstoppable. The only problem I see is that he has no way to defend against his weaknesses or a reliable source of recovery. You better hope that you either outspeed and kill whatever weaknesses you find or hope that the other trainer doesn't have a hard counter like Bisharp or Lucario because I think they resist both of your stabs and can hit your weak spots. 

Bisharp has stab Night Slash and can learn Shadow Claw. Lucario can be either Physical or Special but his movepool is what makes him such a threat with moves like Earthquake, Blaze Kick, Close Combat, and Crunch. His Mega is just another world of problems. 

Overall, nice Pokemon. I think what would work best is if you take out his counters before you perform a sweep. Other than that, he's a powerful Pokemon, especially in singles.

Yeah. Aegislash has no reliable recovery as of Generation 7 to protect himself against his counters. He's pretty much a high-risk award that, if you timed it perfectly, you can deal your opponent tons of damage before being taken out. Since he only has two moves (Four Move Syndrome) that uses his special attacking stats, as you said, any Pokemon that resists it with reasonable defenses and HP can tank the attack and revenge kill him in return.

"I have made many enemies in my lifetime, many different kind of enemies; however, you know what all of them have in common?"
"Death."

Here's a new set from my part.

Comfey (Spinnin'/Godslayer) [ Fairy ]
252 HP / 200 Spe.Att / 56 Spe | OR | 252 HP / 200 Spe / 56 Spe.Att
Ability: Triage / Nature(s): Calm/Timid/Modest
Move 1: Leech Seed
Move 2: Draining Kiss
Move 3: Protect
Move 4: Floral Healing
Item(s): Big Root / Leftovers
Set can be used in: Double Battles

Why/How you think it works: I personally use this Comfey and it has never let me down. Those who battled me know how hard this thing is to take down. It is a powerful support Pokemon, one of the best in my opinion. I've had this Comfey survive Super-effective moves like Iron Head and Poison Jab. Maybe I'm just lucky or Comfey is just a beast. 

His ability is what makes him so powerful. Triage gives Comfey Priority healing moves. Whatever your supporting will automatically have a huge healing boost first turn thanks to priority. Leech Seed and Draining Kiss are for Self Recovery. Big Root increases the amount of HP you get if you use an HP-stealing move. This includes Leech Seed AND Draining Kiss. I prefer Big Root over Leftovers because my Draining Kiss will always get me back 75% of HP while Big Root increases the effect by 30%. If you do the math, I am getting back roughly 91% of HP from the damage done, essentially almost restoring me back to full HP. Add the Leech Seed effect, Comfey will be getting back everything he lost the next turn while inflicting damage.

Protect is for those pesky hard-hitting Poison and Steel types. This is why I recommend having at least one Pokemon that can deal with both poison and steel types and hits hard to get rid of them within the first turn or two. Do not expect Comfey to deal massive damage unless you plan to stall the match for ages. Trust me when I say that Comfey is the ultimate Support Pokemon.

Comfey is one of those Pokemon that many people overlook it's potential due to its appearance. Plenty of powerful Pokemon get this treatment every generation because it's not a overpowered, nuke level being. Comfey is a epiphany of "using the stats in a more competent way" by understanding it's role.

The biggest issues is that Comfey has no way to defend itself once its support gets taken down. Double Battles is practically made for it, but without an powerful partner that make sure that itself doesn't die. Another thing is that it's essentially taunt bait and susceptible to status moves. Watch out for those!

"Death."

@ShineCero : COMFEY IS A MONSTER. PEOPLE UNDERESTIMATE THE GOD SLAYER THAT IS COMFEY. Doubles is his bloodbath.

Here's a new set I came up with along with a support Pokemon to help.

Pyukumuku [ Water]
252 HP / 252 SP.DEF / 4 DEF
Ability: Innards Out / Nature(s): Sassy
Move 1: Toxic
Move 2: Curse
Move 3: Soak
Move 4: Recover / Purify
Item(s): Rocky Helmet
Set can be used in: Both, but works better in Doubles imo.

Why/How you think it works: Pyukumuku is one of those Pokemon that people think is useless because it cannot learn any damaging moves other than Bide and Counter. Just like Comfey, Pyukumuku is not one of those Pokemon that shine in Single battles (but Pyukumuku can troll horribly in singles). This Pyukumuku can poison everything by using Soak. For those who are unaware, Soak is a move in which it forces the target to become a pure water type. This is a perfect counter for poison and steel types who are immune to Toxic. 

So why Curse? Well, Pyukumuku has very high defensive stats (130 in DEF and Sp. Def) so I focused particularly on his special defense. Moves like Giga Drain and Thunderbolt hurt Pyukumuku but since we maxed out his HP and his Sp.Def, that massive 130 Sp.Def stat will take on any special-type moves thrown at him. In order to avoid those pesky physical moves (Wild Charge and Power Whip), we have Curse. Curse boosts up your attack and Defense at the cost of your speed. Pyukumuku is very VERY slow, so lowering his speed wouldn't make much of a difference since he's always going to go last anyway. His HP will ensure that he survives at least one hit and even if he doesn't, his ability, Innards Out, will devastate the attacker. 

When it comes down to it, Pyukumuku will be an unstoppable wall that will Toxic-Stall you and recover any damage you did to it. If you manage to kill it, he will still hurt you through his ability.

Recover is obviously there to help continue Soaking and Toxic'ing your enemies. It's super annoying and once he has a few Curses set up, he's almost impossible to kill. He will stall you to the bitter end. 

Purify is a better replacement for Recover if you are using this set for Singles. Purify is a move that removes your status inflicted AND gives you back health in the process. So if they manage to use Toxic on you, simply Purify yourself and get back some sweet HP. 

Rocky Helmet is just a bonus for any Pokemon unlucky enough to use a physical move on you and my personal preference. Other items you can use are Leftovers for gradual HP recovery or Quick Claw for a chance to move first. 

Togedemaru [ Electric / Steel ]
252 ATT / 252 SPE / 4 DEF
Ability: Lightning Rod / Nature(s): Adamant / Jolly
Move 1: Zing Zap
Move 2: Magnet Rise / Electric Terrain / Spiky Shield
Move 3: Fake Out
Move 4: Poison Jab / Fell Stinger / Iron Head
Item(s): Air Balloon / King's Rock
Set can be used in: Both. (This set in particular works very well with the Pyukumuku set above)

Why/How you think it works: Togedemaru is seen a little bit more in Competitive but most are Single-Sweeper sets that focus on someone getting rid of his ground weakness or he happens to use Grass Knot. This set works well with Pyukumuku because he will always be super-effective on everything. When Pyukumuku uses Soak to turn the opponent into a Water-Type, Togedemaru can hit them with Zing-Zap (30% chance to Flinch). Fake Out is primarily for any Pokemon that is a threat to Pyukumuku. Use Fake Out to Flinch them then Soak them to turn them into a pure Water-Type. Next turn, Togedemaru can destroy them with Zing-Zap or even set up an Electric Terrain for a 50% boost to Electric types.

Electric Terrain is also helpful for Pyukumuku since it will prevent him from going to sleep. 

Magnet Rise is a good move to have if you are not going to hold an Air Balloon, but with Pyukumuku on the field, I think any Earthquake-stab will be null thanks to Soak. However, Togedemaru is very weak to Ground-Types so don't think you'll survive an Earthquake, even if it does not stab. 

Togedemaru's ability is what makes it a shining star in this set because that makes Pyukumuku immune to Electric moves. Any Electric moves will only boost Togedemaru's attack, making him hit twice as hard; and since we maxed out his ATT stat he will hit like a truck. As long as Togedemaru is on the field, Pyukumuku will not have to worry about Electric Moves. As for the grass weakness, Togedemaru learns Poison Jab and can get rid of those pesky grass types in an instant.

I decided to give it King's Rock, adding more chances to Flinch with Zing Zap as well as his other moves.