Things that prevent you from finishing the book?
What are things that authors do that prevents you from finishing a book or series? Simply but, what are something that put you off from a story that you dropped it and become indifference to the story.
[Image: JVqTWoz.png]

Death Hurts

Artwork: My Art
Original StoriesNo Heroes | Good Days | Carnage Hero
Social MediaTwitter | Twitch
In general:

1. Long stretches of boredom or nothing interesting happening. I don't see a point in continuing to read if the recent stuff has been boring and thus I expect it to continue to be boring.
  2. The book feels like it ended but there's still more to go. I ran into this with the last part of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Frodo destroys the One Ring, Sauron is reduced to a spirit that's still present but can't influence Middle Earth anymore. And yet we have several more chapters of epilogue. And basically a three chapter long appendix just for world building. I skimmed the last chapters and completely ignored the appendix, despite having read it for all of the other books.
  3. The author does something completely disgusting. Reading "Truth and Ideas" and uh, there's a scene of a 17 year old doing "something interesting" in the shower. And I'm told that Archive of our Own will dual-host the fic for sexual reasons. I almost threw down my phone in response. Almost.
Forum Mod, focused on Art Garden and Roleplay Park
Ends of the Earth RP | Boogaverse RP Characters.
Current controller of the Meeting of the Dark. | Mysterious Summons: Malefor, Rex Marksley.
Creative Fiction: Solarian Stories; Withered; The Death Lords; Death Knight Detective; Warframe Fan Fiction

"To the Ends of the Earth."
I usually stopped reading a book if it does not have a strong opening. Instead, it’s filled with clichés, inconsiderate of the topics they are presenting (such as a girl that supposedly had indigenous background, but done so in a disrespectful manner), and overall boring.

Death Hurts

If a book fails to capture me from the beginning, I stop reading. I really don't like it when the author decides to pad almost everything about the character and their personal dilemma and whatnot on the beginning alone - this was a problem I had with Anne Rice's Interview with a Vampire. The start of the book was so atrociously boring that I just couldn't bring myself to finish the rest of the book, or touch any of the books after it.
[Image: t76KT8P.png]
☆☆☆
"YOU ARE BEING DECEIVED."
☆ Graphics requests: OPEN 
This might be a bit extreme, but I usually stopped reading a book immediately if the story starts out with the character waking up in the morning. This is an example of amateur writing.

It’s never good to open with a character waking up in the morning, staring at his alarm clock, rubbing his eyes and make his way to the bathroom to brush teeth. It’s mundane, boring and essentially window-dressing. It’s a pointless scene that does not have anything to do with the rest of the story.

Now there are exception to the rules if they subvert it—character wakes up and he’s immediately getting attack. It changes things up, and the reader is now invested.

Death Hurts