The Boogaloo Crews
Please Read BGC Newsletter Issue #2 - November 2018 - Printable Version

+- The Boogaloo Crews (https://boogaloocrews.com)
+-- Forum: The Boogaloo Crews (https://boogaloocrews.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: News & Information (https://boogaloocrews.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Please Read BGC Newsletter Issue #2 - November 2018 (/showthread.php?tid=1628)

BGC Newsletter Issue #2 - November 2018 - ShineCero - 11-05-2018

[Image: dTUyDuP.png]

Hi all,

We have another newsletter to discuss the latest news, changes, etc., on Boogaloo Crews (BGC). The purpose of releasing newsletters is getting the community, both old and new, involved in the process of pushing the site even further. We welcome any feedback and/or suggestions to better our forums and newsletters in the future.

Major General Website Changes/Works in Progress

Daily Reminder: Site URL Changes: There were multiple reports of several users of not being able to log on, then able to get on just fine when they try again. This issue relates to the change of “http” to “https” after installing the auto-SSL certificate. An easy fix is to ensure that when you enter the site, you are using the https one: https://boogaloocrews.com/index.php

Themes: Brand New Cores

If you can recall from last month newsletter, except for the core themes, all the themes is gone in order to have a general and more focused on a singular template with one theme (with a dark variation). However, I hastily made the core themes in reaction to the recent upgrade and thus have a few significant problems.

Pointed out by Grey Star, in the black core, there was an issue textarea (where you are going to make a post) being completely white in a dark-centered theme (among other things). Another issue is that the scrolling bar vanished when you minimized the browser. Certain plugins is either useable or a problem with the edit button (whereas when clicking the edit function, it takes an extremely long time to load). For the time being, The Stats Plugin, Audio Media Plugin and Favorite Threads Plugin is retired for the moment; they will returned once I'm able to edit them, with comfort, to bring the best of their abilities to enhanced the forum.

Therefore, throughout October, I rebuilt the cores from the ground up to make it more pleasing to the users, replaced the eye-straining white textarea with a darker variations that fits within the theme and moves some links around to make it more convenience for the users.
  • Introducing Dark Core: An full on replacement of the Black Core; I have removed nearly all instances of white-textarea in newreply and quickreply, replacing it with a darker color; of course, to compensate, all your text will be white rather than black. The general colors of the Dark Core are purple, green, white, gray and black.
  • Spot the Differences: There are small, key differences from the Core and Dark Core, aesthetically aside from the obvious; can you find those small little details that differ between the two cores?
  • Powerful Buttons: The Alerts and User Control Panel are now at the top-right of the navigation bar, while the other links slide to the left side. Post control buttons, where the edit button, like button and reaction button rests, are now responsive; minimized your browsers to see the small, but neat changes!
  • New Banner Slider: A new banner slider, to replace the old one, added onto the forum. This allows bringing new, interesting banners, along with a clickable links to take users to the respective threads and/or section. 
  • Font Awesome 5 Icons: Font Awesome 5 uploaded another patch of icons, which is wonderful; so certain forums have a new icon that reflects the purpose of the section.
  • Imgur Button: A brand new plugin added onto the forum, which allows users to upload images from their devices, directly onto the forum in their posting without any issues. It is located below smilies in newthread/newreply and below closed thread under quickreply.
  • The Contact and Help Page: New links added onto the forum to enhanced better efficient communication with the members and the Boogaloo Crews Staff.
  • Member Profile Banner: I have increased the maximum size of profile banner from 1125x250 to 1125x350 (which again, supports .jpg, .gif, .png formats). I also added a new field such as "Social Media Accounts", which you can add if people want to contact you in other social media forms, such as Discord.
The New Cores will continue, in smaller doses, in operation for new things to make sure everyone has a unique, but good time looking at the forum. Please report any bugs and/or issues you have so it can be resolved in an efficient manner. Please remember to clear your cache so the new forum changes can take place!

Graphics Project: As the New Core are revamp and adjusted for viewing pleasure, I’m announcing a Graphics Project to replace the logos, the banners, awards and more with new, pleasing ones. It is a dedicated project, but I am urging graphic designers to lend their hand and bring the out of the world experience of Boogaloo Crews! As of now, the logo is being replace with something simpler, but reflects the purpose of the site. If you are a graphic designer and wants to contribute, feel free to contact any of the Administrators and/or Moderators and Elio of your designs.

-----------------

The Official Discord Group: Several months of discussion with few members, I have decided to relaunch the Discord group as a supplementary to the forum, rather than a full-on replacement. In order to boost the activity of the forum—BGC Discord server is now an invite-only group with specific requirements.
  • In order to stay in the group, you must have some formal activity on the forum: meaning, you have to post at least once a week, regardless of thread, in order to stay in. Failure to do so is an automatic dismissal from the group; you will get multiple warnings prior to the dismissal.
  • There are other ways to contribute to the website: you can make graphics, participate in competitions, post your stories (Modern Inkers), bringing brand new members, etc. Essentially, you cannot go a month without some form of activity on the forum. If you can instantly get on the discord, you can get on Boogaloo with no issue. 
  • You can return to the group after dismissal once you boost your activity up, which is the easiest thing in the world.
  • In the new Discord chat, there is a new plugin which ties BGC and Discord together, anytime a new post or thread gets posted, Discord will alert you.
Of course, if these requirements are a tad bit difficult to maintain, then do not join the official BGC server (and make one of your own if you want to keep up with friends, in case sudden galaxy brain posters come out of the woodwork and say, “this isn’t fair”. If you are into fast responses because it serves an instant gratification, that is fine as well. Just to restate it again, if you do not want to do this—that is fine—trust me, I harbor no feelings if you are not that interested forums, requirements are too much or any other reasons). 

Furthermore, to avoid misunderstanding, this does not translate as “posting every single second of the day”. Everyone has lives, and you are not and should not be obligated to spend your time on it); but if you are going to use the chat, you have to maintain some formal activity, including some posting, and once you do that, you’re good to go.

-----------------

New Members Ranks: Introducing a brand new group promotion system, whereas Members get promoted to a new rank if they complete a certain requirement. Details of the requirements will be revealed sometimes later this month, but here are the names of the new ranks.
  • Member: 1 Star
  • Super Member: 2 Stars
  • Master Member: 3 Stars 
  • Ultra Member: 4 Stars
  • Instinct Member: 5 Stars [Obtaining this rank grants you the ability to have user-rank banners under your name].

Competition Winners and Upcoming Events

Winners of Pokémon Cup Series: Spooky Cup

Congratulations to @LoopyPanda and @~ Z ~ for winning stage 1 and 2, respectively, of the Spooky Cup Series!

-----------------

Winners of Sylvester Stallone Series:  Night of 100 Frights

Congratulations to @Ploep, @LoopyPanda, @~ Z ~, @Elio and @ShineCero for winning the Night of 100 Frights!

LoopyPanda Wrote:All of the submissions were great, and I really loved the turnout for this competition! So, everyone will be getting the spiffy spooky badge for our first Sylvester Competition because y'all gave me some great Halloween Spirit! Everyone gets +5 rep for their entry with a quick line of feedback in the comment section of their rep overview. Halloween week was pretty busy for everyone I think especially with the other comps going on, so next time I'll be sure to have actual judges and pick a winner since this one was for the holiday.

Competition News: Announcing a upcoming Pokémon Cup Series, Christmas Bash! This is an competition where you can only use Ice- and Grass-type Pokémon! There are three stages (each one with different formats), that gives you different awards! More information will be coming soon at the end of November.  We are also announcing a upcoming Art Competition for December as well! Details will come soon.

Forum Statistics

Monthly Activity Data as of October 1 2018
  • Posts per day: 42.08
  • Threads per day: 1
  • Members per day: 0.06
  • Posts per member: 659.09
  • Threads per member: 15.69
  • Replies per thread: 41.01
  • Total Posts: 48,773
  • Total Threads: 1,161
Top Five Most Popular Threads
  • Count to Infinity (79,503 views)
  • The Post-Count Thread (59,016 views)
  • DBZ: Anomalous Past for the Future (52,209 views)
  • What Grinds Your Gears? (48,805 views)
  • The Reality Vortex (44,558 views)
Top Five Most Replied Threads
  • Count to Infinity (2,148 replies)
  • The Post-Count Thread (1,687 replies)
  • What Grinds Your Gears? (1,561 replies)
  • The Reality Vortex (1,359 replies)
  • The Random Thread (1,195 replies)

RE: BGC Newsletter Issue #2 - November 2018 - LoopyPanda - 11-05-2018

Hope I'm allowed to make comments here (I canxt remember if we can rn)... if not feel free to move it :p

Firstly, I LOVE the new cores! Especially the dark text box. It isn't blinding to me as a nightowl who prowls the site in the wee hours and has a sensitivity to bright lights on a screen (for those who use the site late at night, bright screens actually make it harder to fall asleep despite the darkness of your room! Your brain is receiving stimuli that makes it think it's still daytime. If you like to use your phone in bed before you sleep, Dark Core is a perfect nighttime setting!)

Also, I like that the banner is touch-responsive to swiping motions! It swipes like a real app's asset would in a separate application, but in a browser!

Oh, and the layout of this newsletter is really good organizationally. Keep up the good writing!

ETA: make sure your signature's hyperlinks include the "s" in the http! Otherwise, clicking on it will trick the site into displaying a guest browser page. Smile

RE: BGC Newsletter Issue #2 - November 2018 - Grey Star - 11-06-2018

Love the new core themes. They simply work so well. Though as a precaution don't fall into the trap of "newer is always better" when it comes to designing systems, I've heard bad stories about the cycle of grading things on how new they are. Not saying the new cores aren't an improvement, just a precaution.

I will desperately hold onto my user rank banner by the way. It's too precious.

Wish I could've participated in this month's competition. it really did look fun, the writing one.

Wish we could push that number of posts per day up without the daily forum game threads. More of the creative stuff. Which, requires more members.

RE: BGC Newsletter Issue #2 - November 2018 - ShineCero - 11-09-2018

Yeah, the problem with the "modern designs" is the tendency to making too modern where one either have to click multiple things at once, or the infinite scrolling or just useless gimmicks that does nothing for the overall of the website (whether on a forum, social media or apps). 

@LoopyPanda Thanks Loopy! Glad the dark themes is working as intended. I didn't realized the blindly white text was a whole eyesore, so I wanted to make sure it's good on the eyes since some screens might be naturally brighter than others. And yes, you can post in newsletter Awesome

@Grey Star Yeah, we definitely need more creative artists too! Hopefully, once updated our designs in terms of banners, graphics and awards, we bring in some fresh blood Wagh

RE: BGC Newsletter Issue #2 - November 2018 - ~ Z ~ - 11-09-2018

The new additions to the forum are great and they all seem to be working like they should (At least to me, they are). The Imgur plug is my personal favorite and I think it beats having to upload it to other sites before placing it here. Just yanking it from my folder and putting it straight to BGL sure takes out a bunch of steps. Nice work! 

Loving the dark theme because I seem to have a huge problem with staring at the screen for a long time. No idea if it's me or something else. I used to find myself struggling to look at the site, but now, I don't have to worry about that. Good job on that.

Personally, I think the major switch in the Discord group was a great idea. We can focus on members who want to post and make changes. The best part about it is that it can alert us when there are new posts and new threads. This is a huge help for me since I am constantly checking the forum on my phone. First thing I do is check on Discord to see if anyone posted. Another thing I like is that the sidebar shows the newest post and takes you right to it when you click it. It helps a lot when the thread is a busy one. Overall, I think this was one of the best improvements so far.

Maybe we can all come together and find ways to get more members? No more excuses like "My friends are weird", trust me, we're all weird. Just as long as your friend isn't raping or killing anyone, I don't think anyone would have a problem. With more members, it can bring more ideas to the forum and, hopefully, improvements too. However, we have a while before we get to that point. It wouldn't hurt to give it some thought...

RE: BGC Newsletter Issue #2 - November 2018 - Grey Star - 11-09-2018

(11-09-2018, 12:52 AM)ShineCero Wrote: Yeah, the problem with the "modern designs" is the tendency to making too modern where one either have to click multiple things at once, or the infinite scrolling or just useless gimmicks that does nothing for the overall of the website (whether on a forum, social media or apps).

Efficiency and simplicity is best for user interfaces. A lesson a lot of people have forgotten for some reason.

(11-09-2018, 07:03 PM)~ Z ~ Wrote: The new additions to the forum are great and they all seem to be working like they should (At least to me, they are). The Imgur plug is my personal favorite and I think it beats having to upload it to other sites before placing it here. Just yanking it from my folder and putting it straight to BGL sure takes out a bunch of steps. Nice work! 

Loving the dark theme because I seem to have a huge problem with staring at the screen for a long time. No idea if it's me or something else. I used to find myself struggling to look at the site, but now, I don't have to worry about that. Good job on that.

Personally, I think the major switch in the Discord group was a great idea. We can focus on members who want to post and make changes. The best part about it is that it can alert us when there are new posts and new threads. This is a huge help for me since I am constantly checking the forum on my phone. First thing I do is check on Discord to see if anyone posted. Another thing I like is that the sidebar shows the newest post and takes you right to it when you click it. It helps a lot when the thread is a busy one. Overall, I think this was one of the best improvements so far.

Maybe we can all come together and find ways to get more members? No more excuses like "My friends are weird", trust me, we're all weird. Just as long as your friend isn't raping or killing anyone, I don't think anyone would have a problem. With more members, it can bring more ideas to the forum and, hopefully, improvements too. However, we have a while before we get to that point. It wouldn't hurt to give it some thought...

I second everything Z said. Haven't used the Imgur plugin yet, then again I never have much to upload so. Discord group changes were great.

Primary problem for members is that all of my friends are on this forum. Wanh wanh.

RE: BGC Newsletter Issue #2 - November 2018 - LoopyPanda - 11-09-2018

Sorry m8s, all of my IRL friends are normies who exclusively use youtube and instagram as far as the internet goes and I'd rather they not know what I do on the internet, nyuck nyuck
[Image: 9493614f75ed14e53f8a3c3c9f40784b374e0fbb_hq.gif]

I'd find it way easier and comfortable to invite internet-oriented people tbh