The Boogaloo Crews
High school teacher arrested after video shows him brawling with student in class - Printable Version

+- The Boogaloo Crews (https://boogaloocrews.com)
+-- Forum: Boogaloo Central (https://boogaloocrews.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Boogaloo Donut (https://boogaloocrews.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: High school teacher arrested after video shows him brawling with student in class (/showthread.php?tid=1629)

High school teacher arrested after video shows him brawling with student in class - ShineCero - 11-06-2018

Quote:A high school music teacher was arrested after he was caught on video launching a vicious attack on a student in front of his band class.  

Marston Riley, 64, was arrested on Friday on suspicion of child abuse and causing great bodily injury on a child in Maywood, California. 

The violent altercation took place at 1.30pm during fifth period at Maywood Academy High School and was filmed on a student's cellphone.

Riley allegedly told a student to exit the classroom because he wasn't wearing a proper uniform, however in the video the students seem to have a relaxed dress code. 

The student allegedly refused and in turn challenged the black teacher to fight, calling him the n-word and throwing a basketball at him.

The students quickly stop playing their instruments and whip out their phones to film the fight.

'You got me f***ed up n****, you got me f***ed up bro,' the young student wearing a black T-shirt says throwing the basketball he was holding at his teacher. 

'Why you say you're gonna beat my a**? Wassup?' the student says, leaving his peers in awe and yelling 'Sheesh!' 

He continues to berate the teacher as he shakes his head and speaks softly in response, trying to keep his cool. 

'I won't, I won't,' the teacher repeats. 

'Why your voice cracking, my n****? Yeah walk the f*** back...why you shaking bro?' the student says, continually taunting the teacher. 

After over a minute of taunting, the teacher finally breaks and upper cuts the student right in the face, causing the boy to buckle backwards.

The student tries to throw up his hands but the teacher slams him again and an audible wham is heard in the video. 

He hits him so hard the student falls to the ground, but the teacher doesn't stop there. He continues to charge, walking around the entire classroom throwing punches and pummeling the boy with a cellphone in his hand.

Students begin to scream and jump out of their chairs as an adult who appears to be the school resource officer runs into the room and holds back the teacher. 

But Riley wiggles out of her grasp and continues to go after the student. 

The officer holds back the boy and the teacher finally stops. Then multiple teachers run into the room to surround the child - who continues to scream expletives - as the teacher looks around the room repeating 'Who hit him? Who hit him'. 

The entire fight lasted about 30 seconds and the boy was only able to land one punch on the teacher. 

Riley was arrested at 2.30pm and was held on $50,000 bail. According to online records he was bonded out of custody. 

The student is believed to be unharmed and was taken to a hospital after the incident.

The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department will turn over the case to the special victims' bureau.  

But this isn't the first time Riley has run into trouble with his temper. Last year he was caught on video allegedly punching another student.

According to his social media he's a Christian musical artist and father-of-two.  

One student told KTLA that the fight was an alleged set up to provoke Riley. 

'Everything was planned out. There were students there who were already taking out their phones to record the incident. I don't think it's completely fair that they're just putting the blame all on (Riley), when I personally know that he's a good guy,' one student said. 

Another said the teacher was always kind and had a good relationship with pupils. 

'I had this teacher before and I had no problem with him. He was a really nice teacher, I always respected him. He always had a really good relationship with every student,' one student said. 

'I was scared for the kid, and partly for the teacher too. It was just back and forth, back and forth, and then the teacher just decided to throw a punch and that’s when everything happened,' one student said to CBS Los Angeles.   

The district is yet to release a comment on the incident.   

'I’m shocked. Why did it have to escalate to this point? I think something needs to be done. That’s way out of hand,' one concern parent said. 

Source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6350397/Music-teacher-arrested-caught-video-punching-student.html

A gofund me page was started in support of the man: https://www.gofundme.com/for-mr-riley

Mr. Riley was also jumped by 3 students (those kids were on drugs) 2 years ago. The student in question was also involved with fighting with the teacher.

So, what do you guys think?

RE: High school teacher arrested after video shows him brawling with student in class - Grey Star - 11-06-2018

Sounds like a guy whose trying to do his best surrounded in a situation where his temper, which seems to be a weak point for him, is continually pushed. If he really was jumped in the past by former students, and the fight really was a set up, sounds like people were pushing him to lose control. He's at blame for punching a student and continuing to assault an opponent who couldn't fight back, but some blame has to be put on the system, at least in terms of preventing this from occurring in the future. No doubt he'll be disciplined for his actions, but hopefully the conversation those in charge about this isn't "teacher lose his temper and attacked a student, fire the teacher" but instead "what made a teacher lose his temper and why did he attack a student?"

RE: High school teacher arrested after video shows him brawling with student in class - gokugirl2006 - 11-07-2018

Sometimes the teachers lose their cool especially when the student(s) don't want or refuse to comply. This is where the situation gets worse causing the teacher to get pushed over the edge. But no matter the cause, neither teacher nor student shouldn't get into any physical altercations.

RE: High school teacher arrested after video shows him brawling with student in class - Vegetto - 11-07-2018

"Continuing to assault an opponent who couldn't fight back."

Idk man, that kid was swinging and charging back throughout that entire exchange. The final topic is also not really something that is rocket science: teacher gets provoked by disrespectful student that actually physically abuses him. So the problem is then found in the situation: how do you stop a situation involving a student openly inciting a fight from the teacher?

The escalation of that situation proved to be a very complex happening: what would you do if you were standing there and that student was showing steady, fast increases of aggression like that child? It was obvious that there was no potential in waiting for security: you'd be taking hits from that kid before anyone showed up to remove him. It is also against policy, likely, to physically remove the child yourself and thus, you are left in a situation where obvious critical human error can easily occur.

IE, if I was in that teacher's position, and I feared that I was about to take potential bodily harm while lacking the verbal skills to talk this kid down, there is no situation that pairs "successfully defusing that situation" with "no physical altercation of some sort". In a heated moment, that teacher probably realized that something was going to happen regardless and in a bid to "protect himself", decided to swing first to gain the upper hand in the fight from the get go.

If you've ever been in a fight, the rules are essentially a problem as the answer is not very clear and there likely was no good situation involving a thugish attitude like that teenager's. You don't know what the kid is capable of, nor is it ever a safe time to disengage in a fight whenever the opponent is still aggressing you. One clean hit and you're out cold, at the mercy of someone you don't know that's out to harm you.

So while I don't condone the assault, in all truth, I really don't see any sort of development that this teacher could've done that would not be taking a pretty high risk in his own potential safety, given his limited knowledge of the situation. The punishment is appropriate, but as we all can tell, the problem is that child and the environment that allows this type of behavior to continue to fester. The teacher acted in a manner that was born from the environment of the situation, mostly in the child's behavior. Trying to focus on "correcting" a problem with the teacher's attitude would be trying to solve a symptom of the problem, not the actual problem itself.

RE: High school teacher arrested after video shows him brawling with student in class - Grey Star - 11-07-2018

I would reply to this in detail, but less is more so.

What I meant in my post was mostly about preventing the situation of a student actively antagonizing a teacher (who the student previously attacked) leading to the alteration. In my experience, nearly no matter what, a teacher placing a hand on a student, even a hug, gets them fired.

RE: High school teacher arrested after video shows him brawling with student in class - ShineCero - 11-07-2018

(11-07-2018, 05:57 PM)Vegetto Wrote: "Continuing to assault an opponent who couldn't fight back."

Idk man, that kid was swinging and charging back throughout that entire exchange. The final topic is also not really something that is rocket science: teacher gets provoked by disrespectful student that actually physically abuses him. So the problem is then found in the situation: how do you stop a situation involving a student openly inciting a fight from the teacher?

The escalation of that situation proved to be a very complex happening: what would you do if you were standing there and that student was showing steady, fast increases of aggression like that child? It was obvious that there was no potential in waiting for security: you'd be taking hits from that kid before anyone showed up to remove him. It is also against policy, likely, to physically remove the child yourself and thus, you are left in a situation where obvious critical human error can easily occur.

IE, if I was in that teacher's position, and I feared that I was about to take potential bodily harm while lacking the verbal skills to talk this kid down, there is no situation that pairs "successfully defusing that situation" with "no physical altercation of some sort". In a heated moment, that teacher probably realized that something was going to happen regardless and in a bid to "protect himself", decided to swing first to gain the upper hand in the fight from the get go.

If you've ever been in a fight, the rules are essentially a problem as the answer is not very clear and there likely was no good situation involving a thugish attitude like that teenager's. You don't know what the kid is capable of, nor is it ever a safe time to disengage in a fight whenever the opponent is still aggressing you. One clean hit and you're out cold, at the mercy of someone you don't know that's out to harm you.

So while I don't condone the assault, in all truth, I really don't see any sort of development that this teacher could've done that would not be taking a pretty high risk in his own potential safety, given his limited knowledge of the situation. The punishment is appropriate, but as we all can tell, the problem is that child and the environment that allows this type of behavior to continue to fester. The teacher acted in a manner that was born from the environment of the situation, mostly in the child's behavior. Trying to focus on "correcting" a problem with the teacher's attitude would be trying to solve a symptom of the problem, not the actual problem itself.

It is quite an oversimplification of what transpire in the video, it common to create a news piece where the adult should have stayed calm and kept his cool because he is dealing with a child (he’s just a child!). Yet, the crux of that issue is that he is not dealing with a typical 5 year kid throwing a tantrum; he’s dealing with a 15 year old who is capable of making decisions, capable of exercising control, including the ability to bring bodily harm to others.

Oddly enough, prior to the student’s attempt to throw punches, including hurling racially insults to the man, he threw a basketball at him; in a technical sense, the student threw the first blow. 

You do not need to throw a punch to commit assault; simply acting in an aggressive manner and more, should be more than enough to make anyone think, “Yep, there’s two ways this will go down, and it isn’t the good one.” Much as you described in your fourth paragraph. You do not punch second; you punch first.

I mean, really, much as you said, how would anyone react in the situation? Not only you’re being insulted on the basis of your race, but the student’s attempt to humiliate you in front of the entire class AND have objects thrown at you? 

I am sure most people think he “cross the line” and “should have handle it differently”, but at the same time, people, including me, felt good to see the teacher smoked the little bastard (pardon my language to described the young lad). He deserved it. Act like a man, be treated like one; otherwise, stay in your lane.

Sad part is, despite the hard lesson the teacher gave him, it most likely he will wear this as a badge of honor, considering his previous offenses.

RE: High school teacher arrested after video shows him brawling with student in class - Vegetto - 11-07-2018

Personally, I think that the student did start the fight based off the throw, but I do know school policies likely limit teachers from engaging in actual fist fights with students. Regardless of who is right or wrong, he would be terminated, of course. Hopefully, however, the teacher will win in court on the actual assault charge.

I personally would've liked to see a better outcome, as the real reason why I disagree with the fight mostly has to do with that final line you just put: the kid is going to take pride in it because society is gonna condemn the teacher for this. So even though the little punk got a good whipping, it's going to produce the opposite effect. Which is frankly, a sign that the system isn't so much a problem, but because society still will support and allow this type of nonsense to continue.

RE: High school teacher arrested after video shows him brawling with student in class - Grey Star - 11-09-2018

(11-07-2018, 07:06 PM)ShineCero Wrote: I am sure most people think he “cross the line” and “should have handle it differently”, but at the same time, people, including me, felt good to see the teacher smoked the little bastard (pardon my language to described the young lad). He deserved it. Act like a man, be treated like one; otherwise, stay in your lane.

Sad part is, despite the hard lesson the teacher gave him, it most likely he will wear this as a badge of honor, considering his previous offenses.

I watched the video. There was really no other way it could've gone down. If the statement the fight was set up was true, which it seemed to be on the basis of how long the video was filming before the punch, and even if it wasn't, the teacher did everything he could to protect himself. Kid certainly wasn't a helpless opponent unlike the news article describes. Did not even get injured enough to warrant a assault charge, amazingly. In addition, unlike the news article, which says the teacher "wriggled" out of the other teacher's grasp to wail on a helpless opponent, it seems they failed to grab him to begin with and was still in the midst of the fight.

Side note: My brother used smoked the day I saw the ABC segment on this topic. He defined it as a verbal beat down, similar to another word I can't remember. Strange you used it to describe a thrashing.

(11-07-2018, 10:40 PM)Vegetto Wrote: Personally, I think that the student did start the fight based off the throw, but I do know school policies likely limit teachers from engaging in actual fist fights with students. Regardless of who is right or wrong, he would be terminated, of course. Hopefully, however, the teacher will win in court on the actual assault charge.

I personally would've liked to see a better outcome, as the real reason why I disagree with the fight mostly has to do with that final line you just put: the kid is going to take pride in it because society is gonna condemn the teacher for this. So even though the little punk got a good whipping, it's going to produce the opposite effect. Which is frankly, a sign that the system isn't so much a problem, but because society still will support and allow this type of nonsense to continue.

Indeed is the case the student started the fight, just not on the school's technical definition. But as I predicted, no matter what, putting a hand on a student nearly always leads to termination. I wish that were true for some other places, people try and touch my hands as a cashier and it gets creepy. Had a woman pray on me once.

Judging by ABC's World News Tonight segment on it, society is already playing up the teacher's "wrongdoings" instead of focusing on the little shit's actions and how he brought this upon himself.