Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Representation Matters to you?
Apparently, this is some sort of hot topic across the medium in fiction; where some kind of representation of people should be required in cartoons, gaming and other media content. However, do you care about this? Should it be an important factor? Does it bother you that it doesn't have a character whom isn't the same race as you? Why or why not?
[Image: JVqTWoz.png]

Death Hurts

Artwork: My Art
Original StoriesNo Heroes | Good Days | Kaiju Man
Social MediaTwitter | Twitch
It does but it shouldn't. People naturally feel distant when they see unfamiliar faces, other races, being the majority compared to their own. The problem is when people take it too far and demand representation in fiction and such beyond simply a lack of stereotypes.
Forum Mod, focused on Art Garden and Roleplay Park
Ends of the Earth RP | Boogaverse RP Characters.
Current controller of the Meeting of the Dark. | Mysterious Summons: Malefor, Rex Marksley.
Creative Fiction: Solarian Stories; Withered; The Death Lords; Death Knight Detective; Warframe Fan Fiction

"To the Ends of the Earth."
I somewhat care, It shouldn't matter though. The idea of the 'token' character is actually quite funny, but at this point I wish that they would drop it, you don't need there to be one of every gender and race to make it acceptable for everyone, the world itself doesn't work that way and so unless it is implicit to the story or situation in question then it should not be even considered. As much as people like to see a character that they can relate to, using these generalities or connections from nothing more than a color or stereotype isn't going to help.
"Calling all. This is our last cry before our eternal silence."
- Morse Code, 1997

I would like to say I enjoy being in the company of Whites and watching movies with white heroes (particularly male) but I'm not saying that makes a movie better, it's just easier to approach. Of course it does help some of my favorite movie heroes are white males (Tom Cruise, Tom Hanks, Peter Parker).
Forum Mod, focused on Art Garden and Roleplay Park
Ends of the Earth RP | Boogaverse RP Characters.
Current controller of the Meeting of the Dark. | Mysterious Summons: Malefor, Rex Marksley.
Creative Fiction: Solarian Stories; Withered; The Death Lords; Death Knight Detective; Warframe Fan Fiction

"To the Ends of the Earth."