Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Image-Hosting site do you use?
Natt Garun Wrote:Thousands of listings from online marketplaces like Amazon and eBay are now filled with unsightly error images by Photobucket after the photo hosting site quietly introduced a $399 annual fee to users who want to embed images on third party websites. Users are now accusing Photobucket of extortion, as the service failed to make the update to its terms of service abundantly clear.

USERS ARE ACCUSING PHOTOBUCKET OF EXTORTION

It all began last week when Photobucket announced in a short blog post that it had updated its terms of service that had begun taking effect from June 20th. Nowhere in the blog post did Photobucket highlight the most important change, which was that it will now cost uploaders $400 a year to insert their photos on another website using direct image links.

Photobucket, which launched in 2003, was previously free for all users to upload and embed images all over the web. It was a popular image hosting service of choice for early 2000s bloggers (think Xanga and LiveJournal) until the likes of Facebook and Instagram came along. Since then, it remained widely used by small businesses selling items through online marketplaces, offering 2GB of storage for free or $100 a year for 102GB of storage (the most popular paid plan, according to the service). The update to Photobucket’s ToS, however, means users are forced to upgrade to the most premium tier if they wish to hotlink.

You can imagine, then, the outrage that ensued. It appears some users can’t even download their own photos out of their Photobucket accounts without upgrading.

Source

As of late, I have been noticing a series of images suddenly disappearing on several sites and even some on Booglaoo. LoopyPanda mentions that her images in her art thread suddenly became unable to be viewable unless she pays nearly 400 dollars if they wish to hotlink, which is utterly ridiculous. Seems that it been happening for a few weeks (if not months) now.

Time for a switch to another image-hosting site that does not do bullshit like this. maybe

With that said, which website do you use to host all your images? Why? Would you recommend the site to a user? 

I personally recommend imgur. Out of all the image-hosting sites, imgur is beyond and above in terms of quality, organization, and hotlinking without much of an issue.
[Image: JVqTWoz.png]

Death Hurts

Artwork: My Art
Original StoriesNo Heroes | Good Days | Kaiju Man
Social MediaTwitter | Twitch
Yes, I had the misfortune of being hit with the Photobucket-500 Plan ransom. Strangely, that was not an issue for me last week, so they are gradually holding everybody's images for ransom.

They would turn a huge profit charging users 10$ a year for the amount they already gave me in terms of storage. But $400!?
No typical Photobucket user exceeds the given storage amount as it is to warrant $400 dollars to merely hotlink images to other websites! In fact, they broke thousands of images that were on eBay and Amazon because of their teeny little service change that was NOT described in explicit terms on their last ToS update email sent out in June. 
[Image: latest?cb=20151103105419]

I was under the impression that they did this to people who had widely-clicked on accounts or on pages that had lots of views, like they used to before this TEENY change! Not accounts like mine where they get hotlinked to websites that have at most 100 visits or so a day.

Honestly though, I'm glad I finally have a reason to dump that trash image hosting site now. Just about every aspect of that site is intolerable!
  • Inefficient loading times
  • S L O W loading and upload times
  • Pop-up ads during the upload process (WTF!!!!) that may or may not have been malicious, according to some fellow users
  • Pain in the ass to copy and paste over to other sites
I made my imgur account last night, I'm ready to baleet my photobucket account once I recover anything not on my hard drive at the moment. Personally, I'm able to access and download my images. That may be a case by case basis or an actual bug.

Photobucket was one of the only places to hold some of my 2007 gems back when I was a wee radish who loved photoshop recolors of anime girls that got passed around Quizilla and the like. I'm going to miss that part of my childhood, but I can tell you that anyone who archives anything from the olden Internet is completely outraged and disgusted by this level of extortion.

Thankfully, Tumblr happily will host your images for free too-- the only thing that disappears is if the OP deletes the post of a video link. Or if the OP of the video in the embed link deletes the video itself.

I also use St.ash from deviantart, but this is mainly for drawings that I don't publish to my gallery.

People are migrating to Flickr and Tumblr now that Photobucket inevitably screwed us all over (though I think Flickr did the same to their premium user over a different service change for what their subscriptions would get them).

PB didn't even issue a public apology. They merely tweeted with a condescending smiley face they "they have listened to [our] feedback and will work to fix it". They probably won't tbh
[Image: BVJCPuD.png]
My Stuff: ArtDevil's Dishonor (Vol. 1) | Boogaverse Characters
Yeah, that's pretty fucking ridiculous that Photobucket tried to get people to shell out money just to host the images. I have seen broken images on Boogaloo because of the whole situation with Photobucket. Might as well switch to imgur, folks!

Death Hurts

@~Ai~ so this is whats going on.. hmm  guess I'll have to find another site as well. I remember imageshack being okay too.. havent checked it out in a while though.
[Image: gO8fQoF.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Ploep's post
People like to use Tinypic too but I hate the layout of the place. Always freaks out my browser.
[Image: BVJCPuD.png]
My Stuff: ArtDevil's Dishonor (Vol. 1) | Boogaverse Characters
I would personally recommend Imgur. I've switched between Photobucket, Tinypic and a few other image hosters, but none of them were ever as good or clean as Imgur. I've been using Imgur since ~2013 and it's worked like a charm for my needs.
[Image: AV0nEPs.png]
Game and Tech Forum Manager (I may or may not be crazy)
I've used Imageshack, DeviantART, and Tumblr for my stuff and Instagram for my cat (some of my drawings and whatnot are in his profile as well). As for the Photobucket, I find the annual fee rather... exorbitant. 400 USD = about 20,238 PhP.
I just want to be free in my world.
(12-07-2017, 08:12 PM)Misua Cat Wrote: I've used Imageshack, DeviantART, and Tumblr for my stuff and Instagram for my cat (some of my drawings and whatnot are in his profile as well). As for the Photobucket, I find the annual fee rather... exorbitant. 400 USD = about 20,238 PhP.

Yeah, it's ridiculous that they think anyone would be sensible to cough up that amount of dough.

Death Hurts

Imgur is our Lord and Savior in these trying times

I've been using Imgur for a LOT of my stuff since 2013. It hasn't failed me even once since. On the occasion that it does fail I use Tumblr and just hotlink the image url from there.
[Image: t76KT8P.png]
☆☆☆
"YOU ARE BEING DECEIVED."
☆ Graphics requests: OPEN 
I've had Photobucket. On another site in which I'am a member of, I've noticed that my signature someone made for me was gone. Now I see why it disappeared. You definitely have to pay at least $400 to get your images back or upload/upgrade the Photobucket site as I keep seeing e-mails relaying this message. Just read an email today. It's a total travesty and ripoff.