Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
US News Brett Kavanaugh - Supreme Court Nomination
As some of you have been following for weeks on end about the candidate up for the Supreme Court, this guy had a lot of, ahem, interesting baggage attached to him.

Quote:A woman who alleged she was sexually assaulted by US President Donald Trump's Supreme Court nominee, Brett Kavanaugh, has identified herself.

Christine Blasey Ford told the Washington Post Mr Kavanaugh had pinned her to a bed and tried to undress her when they were both teenagers.

Mr Kavanaugh denied the allegations when they first surfaced last week.

The top members of the Senate Judiciary Committee are now expected to speak to both Mr Kavanaugh and Mrs Ford.

A spokesperson for Senator Chuck Grassley, the committee's Republican chairman, said he was "actively working" to set up bipartisan calls to both people as a result of "the late addendum to the background file and revelations of Dr Ford's identity".

Such calls would routinely include Senator Grassley's senior Democratic colleague, Senator Dianne Feinstein.

Mr Kavanaugh, 53, was questioned during four days of hearings at the Senate Judiciary Committee last week. The committee is due to vote on Thursday on whether his nomination should go forward to a full vote in the Senate.

When did the alleged assault take place?
Mrs Ford, a professor of psychology at Palo Alto University, told the Post she had decided to go public as her privacy was "being chipped away".

She believed the incident happened in 1982, when she was 15 and Mr Kavanaugh was 17.

He was a student at Georgetown Preparatory School in Bethesda, Maryland, and she was studying at a nearby high school.
The incident allegedly happened at a gathering of teenagers at a house, when Mr Kavanaugh and a friend allegedly "corralled" her into a bedroom. Mr Kavanaugh and his friend were both drunk, she says.

In the words of the Washington Post, "While his friend watched, she said, Kavanaugh pinned her to a bed on her back and groped her over her clothes, grinding his body against hers and clumsily attempting to pull off her one-piece bathing suit and the clothing she wore over it.

"When she tried to scream, she said, he put his hand over her mouth."

Mrs Ford, 51, is further quoted as saying that she managed to break free.

"I thought he [Mr Kavanaugh] might inadvertently kill me," she told the Post.

Mr Kavanaugh issued his denial last week: "I categorically and unequivocally deny this allegation. I did not do this back in high school or at any time".

The stakes couldn't be higher
By Anthony Zurcher, BBC North America reporter

Brett Kavanaugh's glide path to the Supreme Court has been interrupted. That doesn't mean, however, his nomination is destined to crash and burn.

The allegations about an incident that happened when the judge was a teenager, more than 30 years ago, will be difficult to prove with any degree of certainty. While Christine Blasey Ford offers corroborating evidence for her claims, the accusations won't be adjudicated in a court of law or even the court of public opinion.

The only thing that matters when it comes to Mr Kavanaugh's professional fate is whether there are at least two Republicans in the Senate willing to side with Democrats and block the judge's confirmation.

All eyes will be on Senators Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski, the two considered most likely to break ranks.

This episode recalls another high-stakes confirmation battle more than 25 years ago, when then-judge Clarence Thomas faced sexual harassment allegations during his Supreme Court hearings. Mr Thomas prevailed, but the ordeal left both sides bruised and bitter, and may have contributed to the surge in women elected to Congress in 1992.

Now history seemingly repeats itself, this time in the shadow of the #MeToo movement. With the disposition of the Supreme Court for a generation in the balance, and mid-term congressional elections less than two months away, the stakes couldn't be higher.

How did Mrs Ford's account first emerge?
She first approached Democratic lawmakers in July, shortly after Mr Trump's nomination of Mr Kavanaugh revived the pain of the memory.

She says she sent a letter to her local congresswoman, Democrat Anna Eshoo, and Senator Feinstein, the Senate Judiciary Committee's senior Democrat.

Mrs Ford says she believes Ms Feinstein honoured her request to keep the letter confidential but "others did not".

Ms Feinstein said in a statement after seeing the Washington Post article: "I support Mrs Ford's decision to share her story, and now that she has, it is in the hands of the FBI to conduct an investigation. This should happen before the Senate moves forward on this nominee."

Senator Grassley issued a statement defending Mr Kavanaugh.

"Judge Kavanaugh has undergone six FBI full-field investigations from 1993 to 2018," he said. "No such allegation resembling the anonymous claims ever surfaced."

Who is Judge Kavanaugh?

Mr Kavanaugh is President Trump's choice to replace Justice Anthony Kennedy and he is strongly opposed by some Democrats for his views, such as on abortion.

If chosen for the lifetime appointment, the conservative appeals court judge would be expected to tilt the Supreme Court's balance to the right.

This, of course, went to the Senate Hearing, which granted some powerful testimony from Ford; afterwards, it becomes an hilarious shitshow when Kavanaugh granted some tears during out his hearing.

Here are some shorter videos if case you don't want to hear 7 hours of this:

and of course, a good video centering the topic, John Oliver:

[Image: VTk3W41.png]

"I have made many enemies in my lifetime, many different kind of enemies; however, you know what all of them have in common?"
"Death."

Content: My Art | No More Heroes | Good Days | Kaiju Man | BoogaVerse
Now, even if you want to dismiss Ford's testimony, even on the basis of Kavanaugh's behavior alone should be an automatic disqualification from the nomination. His reactions, his hostile answers (if he can even uttered out those answers without twisting it into some "have you?" statements) and his weird fucking explanations about his backstory about calendars, weights and all other nonsense clearly shows that there are tons, and I mean tons, of other just as conservative Judges they can handpicked than this clown.

Why are the GOP willingly want to die on the hill for this particular judge? He has shown no unique qualities that made him stand out among other judges--they literally, and I mean, literally have nothing to lose to swamp out a judge without such issues and get it time before the midterms elections (if that's their biggest issues). Yet, they adamantly refuses to consider any other options because.... why again? Thinking

"I have made many enemies in my lifetime, many different kind of enemies; however, you know what all of them have in common?"
"Death."

(10-03-2018, 09:04 AM)ShineCero Wrote: Now, even if you want to dismiss Ford's testimony, even on the basis of Kavanaugh's behavior alone should be an automatic disqualification from the nomination. His reactions, his hostile answers (if he can even uttered out those answers without twisting it into some "have you?" statements) and his weird fucking explanations about his backstory about calendars, weights and all other nonsense clearly shows that there are tons, and I mean tons, of other just as conservative Judges they can handpicked than this clown.

Why are the GOP willingly want to die on the hill for this particular judge? He has shown no unique qualities that made him stand out among other judges--they literally, and I mean, literally have nothing to lose to swamp out a judge without such issues and get it time before the midterms elections (if that's their biggest issues). Yet, they adamantly refuses to consider any other options because.... why again? Thinking

Simple: his beliefs on Roe v Wade as well as his stance on prosecution of a sitting US President. He has argued that the president "should be excused from some of the burdens of ordinary citizenship", thus Trump wants him on the Supreme Court in an effort to turn the tide in his favor for whatever legal action is coming for his current predicaments. If this nomination fails, Trump will likely have no defense against Mueller if something is found that can stick in court. So if this fails, then Trump is vulnerable. And if Trump falls, the GOP falls because everyone is going to realize who the real empowering individuals are that made this disaster of a presidency possible. It may not be the killing blow if Kavanaugh falls through, but it certainly is one that the GOP can effectively secure Trump's legitimacy should his nomination be a success.

There's literally no other reason: the meme that John Oliver pointed out clearly shows someone lacking in intelligence for the Supreme Court. It was like reading a bad fanfiction almost: Kavanaugh's attempts to strike ethos in recounting stories about his past were comparable to reading some rich kid trying to be edgy and make his minor struggles in life emotionally traumatizing. You already brought up the concerning antics, specifically ones that indicate the same behavior children use when they are denied something they believe they are entitled to/want.

It just goes to show what actual money and power can do for a person. This guy sounds barely fresh out of college, yet he's an actual judge. I would actually be afraid to see this guy presiding over a case, let alone making an unbiased decision about...well...literally anything.
"What do you call a Vegeta and a Goku? Vegetto sounds alright." 
[Image: SACYXY9.jpg]
(10-03-2018, 10:09 AM)Vegetto Wrote:
(10-03-2018, 09:04 AM)ShineCero Wrote: Now, even if you want to dismiss Ford's testimony, even on the basis of Kavanaugh's behavior alone should be an automatic disqualification from the nomination. His reactions, his hostile answers (if he can even uttered out those answers without twisting it into some "have you?" statements) and his weird fucking explanations about his backstory about calendars, weights and all other nonsense clearly shows that there are tons, and I mean tons, of other just as conservative Judges they can handpicked than this clown.

Simple: his beliefs on Roe v Wade as well as his stance on prosecution of a sitting US President. He has argued that the president "should be excused from some of the burdens of ordinary citizenship", thus Trump wants him on the Supreme Court in an effort to turn the tide in his favor for whatever legal action is coming for his current predicaments. If this nomination fails, Trump will likely have no defense against Mueller if something is found that can stick in court. So if this fails, then Trump is vulnerable. And if Trump falls, the GOP falls because everyone is going to realize who the real empowering individuals are that made this disaster of a presidency possible. It may not be the killing blow if Kavanaugh falls through, but it certainly is one that the GOP can effectively secure Trump's legitimacy should his nomination be a success.

There's literally no other reason: the meme that John Oliver pointed out clearly shows someone lacking in intelligence for the Supreme Court. It was like reading a bad fanfiction almost: Kavanaugh's attempts to strike ethos in recounting stories about his past were comparable to reading some rich kid trying to be edgy and make his minor struggles in life emotionally traumatizing. You already brought up the concerning antics, specifically ones that indicate the same behavior children use when they are denied something they believe they are entitled to/want.

It just goes to show what actual money and power can do for a person. This guy sounds barely fresh out of college, yet he's an actual judge. I would actually be afraid to see this guy presiding over a case, let alone making an unbiased decision about...well...literally anything.

Hey man! At least bad fanfiction can be funny as fuck. maybe

I mean, I get that. Really, I understand why they're deep-throating his guy hardcore; but even for a second, in their hearts of hearts, they could not find another guy with similar ideals? I mean, out of the 25 conservative judges that Trump picked out, you mean the other 24 judges just don't fit the bill?

Besides, even if Kavanaguh sticks his dicks out that a sitting President cannot be indicted and tried to curtail the investigations, in what possibilities, would the other judges would even follow Kavanaugh's lead anyways? What if they said, "well, no you fucking fratboy, presidents can be indicted" and that's that? Trump's Master Plan seem like a one, big ass risk factor that disregard any other senses. It's like picking out a judge without even doing a proper background research and you found out that he, ahem, has baggage.

Wait...

@bolded part

And that's the most ridiculous part about his whole ideal. The fact that babyface Lindsay Graham (who outed himself when the Democrats wants a fair system and he's all "you're ain't getting this, you came to the wrong town, boy!") made a fucking circus about this guy... and yet he still stand by what he said despite Brett's ridiculous service.

---

It just fucking ridiculous that out of the 25 judges, and they can easily swap people that PROBABLY have the same ideas as this joker, but nope, just nope. This guy is the chosen one. THIS GUY must be the one. THIS is why GOP will fight to the death. It's like you said, it's pure money, ideology driven at this point--that it goes past rational thinking.

I bet Brett can flat out come out and be all

"Yes, I did all of this shit. In fact, I lick the jizz and spit right back in her mouth and I like it" out loud, and the GOP still wouldn't budge.

"Death."

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/104...5508733952
Yes, an fucking Senator give a good own kindergarten retort "b-boo yourselves!" when the audience snapped at his response. Pls holy fucking shit, circus keeping on spinning.

"Death."

Two of the undecided Senators find the FBI report credible, despite Democrat criticisms, and criticisms of people supporting Kavanaugh's victims. Read some stuff from Mark Judge who denies the whole thing. By his own admission he was constantly drunk around the time that the attack allegedly occurred, so he sounds about as credible as Kavanaugh.
RP Characters.
Mysterious Summons: Malefor, Rex Marksley.
(10-03-2018, 10:32 AM)ShineCero Wrote:
(10-03-2018, 10:09 AM)Vegetto Wrote:

Hey man! At least bad fanfiction can be funny as fuck. maybe

I mean, I get that. Really, I understand why they're deep-throating his guy hardcore; but even for a second, in their hearts of hearts, they could not find another guy with similar ideals? I mean, out of the 25 conservative judges that Trump picked out, you mean the other 24 judges just don't fit the bill?

Besides, even if Kavanaguh sticks his dicks out that a sitting President cannot be indicted and tried to curtail the investigations, in what possibilities, would the other judges would even follow Kavanaugh's lead anyways? What if they said, "well, no you fucking fratboy, presidents can be indicted" and that's that? Trump's Master Plan seem like a one, big ass risk factor that disregard any other senses. It's like picking out a judge without even doing a proper background research and you found out that he, ahem, has baggage.

Wait...

@bolded part

And that's the most ridiculous part about his whole ideal. The fact that babyface Lindsay Graham (who outed himself when the Democrats wants a fair system and he's all "you're ain't getting this, you came to the wrong town, boy!") made a fucking circus about this guy... and yet he still stand by what he said despite Brett's ridiculous service.

---

It just fucking ridiculous that out of the 25 judges, and they can easily swap people that PROBABLY have the same ideas as this joker, but nope, just nope. This guy is the chosen one. THIS GUY must be the one. THIS is why GOP will fight to the death. It's like you said, it's pure money, ideology driven at this point--that it goes past rational thinking.

I bet Brett can flat out come out and be all

"Yes, I did all of this shit. In fact, I lick the jizz and spit right back in her mouth and I like it" out loud, and the GOP still wouldn't budge.

Well again, the whole point of this ideology is that Trump selected him specifically for that vision for himself. IE, and this is just a basic very simple template for how things would go down:

First off, remember this guy's personality. Clearly not unbiased in partisan beliefs, clearly conservative, and sacrificed his demeanor in a televised hearing with the Senate over something he felt personally responsible for. Basically, the guy is clearly not what you would expect in a judge: he values personal, selfish motivations/goals over what we should expect from someone on the Supreme Court. Out of the list of 25, despite most of them probably being Trump supports, he shows something unique in how he is willing to be a loyalty drone for Trump in the fact that he is willing to put his own selfishness above the entire country.

So, next month, big case is coming up in the SC: Gamble vs US. Now, I personally think I need to do some more research since I looked through it and read the basic principles, but what is basically is at stake is the "separate but sovereign" clause for double jeopardy, where simply put, you can be tried for a federal offense at the state level and vice versa because federal and state are "separate sovereigns". With Kavanaugh on the court, that gives the conservative pool of 5 enough power to repeal that clause.

The theory then, is that legally, Trump can then grant complete pardons to those he needs to save from the Mueller investigation and they cannot then be tried at the state level to turn onto him. The other judges may align with him belief wise, but based off what you've clearly seen of Kavanaugh, it's pretty obvious he is going to be the most biased in voting on that case purely for political reasons. The other judges might actually have consciences and vote to keep that clause in place. Of course, this may be off base, but this is the only rationale I can see for defending Kavanaugh so aggressively as the GOP.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc...rt/571285/
"What do you call a Vegeta and a Goku? Vegetto sounds alright." 
[Image: SACYXY9.jpg]
Well, we just have to see, now that Brett Kavanaugh is now confirmed by the Senate by 50-48. If indeed that their intended goal, especially from the article you link, then it could be a step closer to reality. Assuming if the Houses don't get flipped or something.

I'm not surprised he got confirmed though; regardless of the baggage he had, because of his thoughts and the potential to reduced the damage of the Muller Investigation was something valuable. Let's hope that something is going to be done by reducing Supreme Court Justices as no longer being life-time appointments.

Quote:WASHINGTON — A deeply divided Senate voted on Saturday to confirm Judge Brett M. Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court, delivering a victory to President Trump and ending a rancorous Washington battle that began as a debate over ideology and jurisprudence and concluded with questions of sexual misconduct.

Mr. Trump said Judge Kavanaugh would be quickly sworn in. “I applaud and congratulate the U.S. Senate for confirming our GREAT NOMINEE, Judge Brett Kavanaugh, to the United States Supreme Court,” he wrote on Twitter. “Later today, I will sign his Commission of Appointment, and he will be officially sworn in. Very exciting!”

The Senate vote was 50 to 48, almost entirely along party lines. It did not go smoothly — protesters repeatedly interrupted the proceedings, with the Capitol Police dragging screaming demonstrators out of the gallery as the senators sat somberly at their wooden desks in the chamber below. “This is a stain on American history!” one woman cried, as the vote wrapped up. “Do you understand?”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/06/us/po...court.html

"Death."

Honestly, Brett Kavanaugh makes me terrified of the future. I could handle a Trump presidency. But Kavanaugh has the potential to do more damage in the US than Trump could in eight years. The Supreme Court has been the most powerful judicial body in the United States. It has been responsible for some of the greatest human rights advancements in this country, and responsible for delaying them as badly, though the honor of worse human rights abuses goes to different presidential administrations with Operation Condor or the Trail of Tears taking the cake. I can very easily see this Kavanaugh restricting anti-discrimination causes, overturning a nationwide right to abortion, and granting even more powerful to companies than they have with their status as "people" getting increased. After all, if one Supreme Court Judge could fool an entire country, why couldn't another?

A clown is sitting in the Supreme Court. That bears repeating. A clown is sitting in the Supreme Court. And he'll be funny until he gives us reasons to stop laughing.
RP Characters.
Mysterious Summons: Malefor, Rex Marksley.
[+] 1 user Likes Grey Star's post
Quote:Christine Blasey Ford said at a public hearing during Brett Kavanaugh’s Supreme Court confirmation process that what she remembered most vividly about her alleged sexual assault was the two boys’ “uproarious laughter.”

So why, Lesley Stahl asked President Trump during a 60 Minutes interview, did he make fun of Ford at a rally this month, eliciting loud laughter from thousands in the audience?

The president insisted he had treated Ford with “great respect”—and touted how much Kavanaugh was helping the GOP in midterm polling.

“The way now Justice Kavanaugh was treated has become a big factor in the midterms,” he said. “Have you seen what’s gone on with the polls?”

He then moved to shut down the Ford discussion completely. “You know what? I’m not going to get into it because we won. It doesn’t matter. We won,” Trump said, referring to Kavanaugh’s eventual confirmation to the Supreme Court.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-on-m...ter-we-won

So even if Ford's testimony ends up true (had the investigation was properly investigated), it didn't matter; they won. 

And the people will still flock in doves for this guy.

"Death."