Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apu 'to be axed' from The Simpsons following racial controversy
Quote:Controversial Simpsons character Apu is reportedly being axed from the show after months of debate. 

One of the show’s producers confirmed to IndieWire that they will “drop the Apu character altogether”. 

“They aren’t going to make a big deal out of it, or anything like that, but they’ll drop him altogether just to avoid the controversy,” Adi Shankar said.

If The Simpsons drops Apu, everyone loses

The popular animated show came under scrutiny over its portrayal of convenience store Kwik-owner Apu Nahasapeemapetilon, who first appeared on the show in 1990. He is voiced by actor Hank Azaria. 

Comedian Hari Kondabolu released a documentary in November 2017 titled The Problem With Apu, where he explained how the character and his thick Indian accent was based on hurtful stereotypes.

“Everything with Apu is like this running joke,” Kondabolu told the New York Times. “And the running joke is that he’s Indian.”

The Simpsons addressed the racial controversy surrounding the character in a brief scene of an episode that was described as a “slap in the face” by critics.

The show producers featured a brief scene with Lisa and Marge Simpson, who is reading an updated version of The Princess in the Garden that was edited to make it acceptable for 2018.

At one point, Lisa turns to the camera and says: “Something that started decades ago and was applauded and inoffensive is now politically incorrect. What can you do?”

Lisa then looks at a picture of Apu with the catchphrase “Don’t have a cow!” written on it.

“Some things will be dealt with at a later date,” Marge says.

“If at all,” Lisa responds.

Simpsons creator Matt Groening has previously expressed unwillingness to scrap the character, commenting in July this year: “I love the character, and it makes me feel bad that it makes other people feel bad. But on the other hand, it’s tainted now — the conversation, there’s no nuance to the conversation now. It seems very, very clunky.”

Shankar said he views the decision to axe Apu as a mistake. “If you are a show about cultural commentary and you are too afraid to comment on the culture, especially when it’s a component of the culture you had a hand in creating, then you are a show about cowardice,” he said.

“It’s not a step forward, or step backwards, it’s just a massive step sideways.”

Source: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter...04156.html
[Image: 9FCkO9z.png]

"I Got My Eye On You"

Artwork: My Art
Original Stories: No More Heroes | Good Days | Kaiju Man | Become (Short Story)
Fan-Fiction: Kingdom Hearts | Drakengard 
Social Media: Twitter | Twitch
I don't think you included the right link there Shine. The quote box doesn't match up with the article.

Regardless I agree with one thing. Just dropping the character altogether as "avoiding the controversy" while also including a shot at the critics is a rather ridiculous example of "having your cake and eating it too." In the article you linked, the last remaining original writer says they solved the Apu problem in 2016 by simply stopping using him for jokes. That should be the official stance they're going with. "The joke's not funny and hurtful, so we'll stop using it." Simple. End. Makes the documentary seem pointless.
Boogaverse Guild Leader | Forum Mod, focused on Art Garden and Roleplay Park
Current controller of the Meeting of the Dark. | Boogaverse RP Characters. | Mysterious Summons: Malefor, Rex Marksley.
Creative Fiction: Solarian Stories; Withered; The Death Lords; Death Knight Detective; Warframe Fan Fiction

"We accept this memory and move beyond its reach."
Updated the source and the link; well, it doesn't matter anyways because it seems this newspiece migt be premature and/or made up by someone that does not represent the production team.

Quote:The Simpsons showrunner Al Jean has distanced himself from claims shopkeeper Apu Nahasapeemapetilon will be axed from the cartoon following racism complaints.

Indian-American film producer Adi Shankar told U.S. website IndieWire that “multiple sources” had confirmed to him that Apu would be written out of the show after being branded a “racist caricature” in a TV documentary produced by comedian Hari Kondabolu.

However, on Sunday, Jean responded to the reports on Twitter by stating that speculation over the future of the fictional owner of Springfield’s Kwik-E-Mart is premature.

“Adi Shankar is not a producer on the Simpsons,” he wrote. “I wish him the very best but he does not speak for our show.”

Apu has been a fixture on the hit animation since 1990 and the character’s voice actor, Jewish-American comedian Hank Azaria, has won three Emmy Awards for his work with the Simpson family’s local shopkeeper.

Source: https://montrealgazette.com/entertainmen...14f8ccc740

I also found an interesting video regarding Apu. What are your thoughts on the matter?

[Image: 9FCkO9z.png]

"I Got My Eye On You"

Artwork: My Art
Original Stories: No More Heroes | Good Days | Kaiju Man | Become (Short Story)
Fan-Fiction: Kingdom Hearts | Drakengard 
Social Media: Twitter | Twitch
So pretty standard affair then. Glad they're not going in the way my previous comments inferred from. I feel a bit sheepish having said those things on inaccurate information.

Video was interesting. I wouldn't call it at all effective for convincing the guy from Tru TV, but it did get the point across that there's other reasons for liking Apu than racism. In effect he's one of the Simpson's many black horses (racial connotations not intended) by being extremely popular for what was a mere side character who ended up being friends with the Beatles.
Boogaverse Guild Leader | Forum Mod, focused on Art Garden and Roleplay Park
Current controller of the Meeting of the Dark. | Boogaverse RP Characters. | Mysterious Summons: Malefor, Rex Marksley.
Creative Fiction: Solarian Stories; Withered; The Death Lords; Death Knight Detective; Warframe Fan Fiction

"We accept this memory and move beyond its reach."