Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Statue of 'racist' Gandhi removed from Ghana university campus
Quote:A statue of Indian independence leader Mahatma Gandhi has been removed from Ghana's most prestigious university after complaints that he was racist against black Africans.

India's former president Pranab Mukherjee unveiled the statue to the global peace icon at the University of Ghana in Accra two years ago as a symbol of ties between the two nations. citing passages written by Gandhi claiming that Indians were "infinitely superior" to black Africans.

The online protest was one of a number on university campuses in Africa and beyond about the enduring symbols of the continent's colonial past. The Gandhi statue on the university's Legon campus in Accra appeared to have been removed overnight Tuesday to Wednesday, students and lecturers told AFP.

The head of language, literature and drama at the Institute of African Studies, Obadele Kambon, said the removal was an issue of "self-respect". The university authorities refused to comment while an official at Ghana's foreign affairs ministry said only: "It's an internal decision by the university."

Ghana's former government had said the statue would be relocated "to avoid the controversy... becoming a distraction from our strong ties of friendship" with India.

Though Gandhi is more commonly remembered for his non-violent resistance to British colonial rule in his native India, his legacy in Africa is more mixed. He lived and worked as a lawyer in South Africa from 1893 to 1915 before moving to India.

https://www.news18.com/news/world/south-...75419.html
[Image: yMP37k3.png]

"Is that all you got?"

Artwork: My Art
Original Stories: No Heroes | Good Days | Kaiju Man | Become (Short Story)
Fan-Fiction: Kingdom Hearts | Drakengard 
Social Media: Twitter | Twitch
Racial segregation

Quote:In 1893, Gandhi wrote to the Natal parliament saying that a "general belief seems to prevail in the Colony that the Indians are a little better, if at all, than savages or the Natives of Africa".

Quote:In 1904, he wrote to a health officer in Johannesburg that the council "must withdraw Kaffirs" from an unsanitary slum called the "Coolie Location" where a large number of Africans lived alongside Indians. "About the mixing of the Kaffirs with the Indians, I must confess I feel most strongly."

Quote:The same year he wrote that unlike the African, the Indian had no "war-dances, nor does he drink Kaffir beer". When Durban was hit by a plague in 1905, Gandhi wrote that the problem would persist as long as Indians and Africans were being "herded together indiscriminately at the hospital".

Quote:“The £3 tax is merely a penalty for wearing the brown skin and it would appear that, whereas Kaffirs are taxed because they do not work at all or sufficiently, we are to be taxed evidently because we work too much, the only thing in common between the two being the absence of the white skin.”

Some more juicy stuff:

Quote:While in Bengal to see what comfort he could offer in times of inter-communal violence in the run-up to independence, Gandhi called for his 18-year-old grandniece Manu to join him – and sleep with him. "We both may be killed by the Muslims," he told her, "and must put our purity to the ultimate test, so that we know that we are offering the purest of sacrifices, and we should now both start sleeping naked."

"Is that all you got?"

Wow, I would have never thought of Gandhi being a racist. People usually make him out to be a nice man and a person with positive vibes. Sheesh, if he said all of this stuff, I guess he's not exactly the 'peacemaker' every labeled him as. He might have done a good thing for his people, but at the ill-view against others. It's almost like a stab to the back. I personally never knew much (or was interested) about Gandhi's life but after being told many times about all the wonderful things he did, I just assumed he was a good guy. 

Guess I was wrong. 

Aside from my own personal beliefs, I think it's a good thing that Ghana's university removed the statue. If the view of Gandhi and his words are mixed, it's best to avoid trouble and get rid of the problem before things get worse. It's an interesting read and it opens the eyes to a darker side of Gandhi that some of us might not know.
[Image: wnC6dlU.png]

There are two versions of Tatsumaki: Shine's version and Z's version.
About a week ago I found some claims on TVTropes that stated that Gandhi later wrote he was wrong to be racist (under a paragraph of racist stuff Gandhi said), but can't find any sources on the subject that support those claims, or aren't written by people in Africa, or people talking about people in Africa.

Also his grand-niece died in her 40s and suffered depression, and was one of multiple girls Gandhi slept naked with. She also Gandhi never had sex with any of the girls in her diary.
Forum Mod, focused on Art Garden and Roleplay Park
Ends of the Earth RP | Boogaverse RP Characters.
Current controller of the Meeting of the Dark. | Mysterious Summons: Malefor, Rex Marksley.
Creative Fiction: Solarian Stories; Withered; The Death Lords; Death Knight Detective; Warframe Fan Fiction

"To the Ends of the Earth."
Honestly, I'm pretty sure most people back then thought things like that. In a slight defense of him he did work at points to build bridges with Muslims in India, but really the best of people back then probably held similar beliefs to his. Can't exactly blame them for removing it. He was a complete sexual weirdo though....yikes lol.
(12-20-2018, 08:42 PM)Grey Star Wrote: About a week ago I found some claims on TVTropes that stated that Gandhi later wrote he was wrong to be racist (under a paragraph of racist stuff Gandhi said), but can't find any sources on the subject that support those claims, or aren't written by people in Africa, or people talking about people in Africa.

Also his grand-niece died in her 40s and suffered depression, and was one of multiple girls Gandhi slept naked with. She also Gandhi never had sex with any of the girls in her diary.

Yikes.

I would love to have a source on this, but if Gandi seemingly only going for his niece, whoo boy, that's awful.

"Is that all you got?"