Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Future of BGC [Temporary Discussion]
We are approaching our 4th year of BGC and just like last year (and the year before that), we won't be celebrating any kind of milestone of our success, since it's anything but, instead, I wish to discuss about the future of the website.

I won't go into the details of exhausting work of maintaining the forum, but rather, take about the spike of activity and discussion. As of now, the most active forums is currently the Plaza, RPG Park and (after a large margin), Art Garden (although there are few threads more active than the entirely of the forum). After discussing with one of the super moderator, here are my thoughts on it:

I previous brought up this point about how discussion have either reduced to "forced posting/responses", rather than natural discussions last year, by restructuring  the Discord chat (because it was detrimental to the forum) by requiring activity and posting on the forums. So far, it became a huge success (for the most part):

[Image: L96BJue.png]

However, around February and March, activity took a massive hit and slowly went downhill from there. That, of course, I take full responsibility because my activity was brutal since I couldn't help foresee the vision I want for the forum due to other personal life issues. With that said, I wish to find a way to truly remedy this problem by bringing discussion back onto the forums (rather than Discord), increased participation rather than being forced into it (so no one makes "unnatural responses) and truly build a community (and also bring some fresh blood to lively up the forum as well). 

Do not misunderstand. Discord for small chat and questions for the RPs is fine, but it should not be an replacement for the forums (as some users seems to be taken more interest in). This isn't also to say that one should be forced into the forum everyday as well, but rather increased interest. Otherwise, I may be forced to do two options: cut all ghost-town forums down to only RPGs or outright delete the forum and be done with it all, if this trend continues.
[Image: JVqTWoz.png]

Death Hurts

Artwork: My Art
Original StoriesNo Heroes | Good Days | Carnage Hero
Social MediaTwitter | Twitch
Most of the main focus these days is with Art and our RPG section (of course the Art Garden is understandably not heavily active, but eliminating it is definitely not something that I'd want to see go down and probably would detriment us more if we do get rid of it), so I think investing efforts in bringing in new members should actively be focused on those two areas. The first challenge is really finding suitable places for advertising the site with regards to RPG forums, but Reddit seems most receptive to drawing in people who prefer forum-based RP over discord. So we ought to start there methinks. Maybe art too because we can provide more personable criticism when asked and we have the Redraws going for us at the time being. Artists are pretty scattered around these days though and twitter is still something I'm getting used to posting with.

We can relegate other forums that receive basically no activity as either "off-topic" in the umbrella term or get rid of them altogether to make the site a little less inflated to the average visitor. The Tech Club sub hasn't ever gotten too much attention and I'm sure most can agree there are better places to find a livelier discussion on the newest Nvidia XJ942069 doo-dad than here where probably only 2 other people will have a lick of what it is... definitely not me because I have the technical know-how of a potato.

That being said, I can't suggest much changes to the discord itself because we've got it to what we need at bare minimum. 

But! I feel like it's necessary to remind our users here that we have Suyoibot, our discord bot who lovingly notifies you on discord when new posts and threads are made. However, she doesn't notify you of EVERY new post/thread; she only looks for activity in certain forums. This feature is useless to you if you have a penchant for muting discord servers. Instead, I'd rncourage you use the old school "Subscribe to this Thread" button that hangs out at the bottom of every thread's page. You have the option to receive email notifs in addition to in-site alerts; if you are a serial muter or check your email more often, I recommend this method more. (Of course be sure your email address is updated to the site or is accessible!)
[Image: BVJCPuD.png]
My Stuff: ArtDevil's Dishonor (Vol. 1) | Boogaverse Characters
Personally I am not that much active on the forum itself due to work and all, but I'll try to post when I can.

That being said, I do agree it would be nice to bring discussions to the forums and keep Discord for small chat and quick RP questions to get things out of the way quickly or for clarifications... other than that; I don't have much else to add personally, not yet that is...
[+] 2 users Like Z-Fighter's post
I said all my thoughts to you already Shine xD

But to put a tl;dr here, I'll just say that new members would be nice to have since a lot of people are now too busy irl or don't have the forum as high priority to be active here. Besides that, the rp and art part seems active so it would be nice people branched out to reply in other sections too.

That is all. Education
[Image: A525k87.png]
[+] 2 users Like Ploep's post
I know I have been becoming more active on here, especially because of my new side business with my perler beads, so, that art thread of mine I try to post in a lot. I like posting in a lot of other threads, too. 

I do work a lot at Arby's, and I try to post when I can/remember to.
[Image: 8JBl5Hn.png]
Since most of the activity is in the Art and RPG sections, we shouldn't touch that for now (unless we go 3 months without a post or something) As for the other sections, we should do a complete revamp or outright delete some of them. I know that there are some threads that have more activity than others (Reality Vortex, Most Plaza threads, and even Donut can qualify to an extent) but the threads that have little to no activity in them should be deleted or moved somewhere else. As Loopy said, these threads aren't exactly something the average member would be interested in or understand unless they are specifically looking for it. Even then, something as specific as that 'Nvidia' thread is better off using Google for anyways. You might as well go to an all Tech Forum for something like that.

One glaring issue I am beginning to notice is that lack of 'theme' we have as a forum. What is Boogaloo? Is it an Art Forum? Roleplay Forum? Meme Forum? I think we still haven't figured it out after 4 years running. You can say we are a 'General Forum' with a little bit of everything. That's fine and all, but that can honestly be put in one giant section/forum within Boogaloo with the number of posts and activity we're getting. If enough activity runs within that section, then we can organize it a little better until it blooms into its own separate thing. Perhaps it would be a better idea to focus on the top 2-3 forums/sections with the most activity so we can round off what Boogaloo should be. If most of our members are in the Art AND RPG section, why not focus a little more on that? 

I am not saying ignore/delete the other sections, I am simply saying that we focus on the ones that have the most activity because it's clearly generating all the attention. Once that activity gravitates to the OTHER forums/sections, THEN we can apply that same idea to those areas. Until then, we kinda have to focus on what's keeping Boogaloo active NOW rather than throw ideas of what MIGHT make it active later.

I agree that the forum has been suffering a bit. I know I haven't been posting a lot lately (Only in the Art/RPG sections) but most of the replies I get are from either Shine or Loopy. As much as I love them to death, I would also like to see the opinions of other people around the forum, it's only fun when you hear the voices of other people than just your friends. So here are my thoughts as to what I think the problem is...

Lack of communication.

With all the ways we can talk and contact each other, we still have problems informing each other about the little bumps that might hold up a thread/RP. I REALLY hate this. If you are busy/uninterested in a RP/forum, just say it! We shouldn't have to figure out or wait a million years for you to post. The last thing I want to do is annoying the hell out of someone to post only to be told: "Well, I'm busy with life because XYZ things happened! Jerk!" ...How was I supposed to know if you didn't tell me? However, there is another side to this...

One thing is that you are busy with personal things out of your control, but another is using that to sneak away from posting or flat out lie. I understand life is unpredictable and things happen beyond our control, what I don't understand is when people claim they are busy... but they post a million messages on Discord/Social Media about how not busy they are. Then, when confronted about it, they have nothing to say other than excuses.

How to fix: Just speak up and be honest. No one is going to haggle you or make fun of you or belittle you for losing interest or being too busy. You can easily PM someone on Discord or on Boogaloo, just inform us of what the issue is. This applies to Game Masters and Thread Masters as well. If you have a member that is holding up an RP/Thread, don't be scared to let them know it is their turn to post. If they 'promise' to post from now on but refuse to uphold that promise, you have to make the decision to skip them or remove them from the RP/Thread. You shouldn't have to feel bad for it when everyone else is putting their part. However, if someone DOES get on your case about anything, whatever the reason is, you take that to the admins, we will handle it from there. Free of charge!
[Image: wnC6dlU.png]

There are two versions of Tatsumaki: Shine's version and Z's version.
[+] 2 users Like ~ Z ~'s post
I dont participate much anymore as I dont have the same type of downtime as I used to (being stuck at a computer with wifi and nothing to do, but not allowed to play videogames) but I know that most of my activity is focused on the threads where you dont really need to keep up with whats happening in them (things like count to infinity or Last thing you watched, whats your hated anime trope etc), I liked when those were all in the 'Black Hole" section ages ago but now they are kinda everywhere... Perhaps we could make more of a Tags system for finding threads you might be interested in?

Anyways, I dont mind the required posts thing, I think it helps a lot to remind me to actually participate on here, and the timeline is generous with frankly minor drawbacks.

As far as the RP section goes, I got burned out on Forum RPs after getting to play in-person D&D and such as Im impatient and dont like to have the game move at a slow pace, which I feel is a major part of a forum RP format.

Im not sure what to say beyond all that...
"Calling all. This is our last cry before our eternal silence."
- Morse Code, 1997

[+] 1 user Likes Nick's post
I didn't realize activity was that bad. But considering I only ever post in two different RPs, struggle to maintain an active interest in Boogaverse when I am figuratively drowning in being behind on things I would like to get caught up on, and give likes to all of the artwork produced in the artgarden and comments when I can, I can see why things are that bad.

As before, I don't really have anyone I know who would like to join that I haven't offered already. Considering that I stay within my small, nested communities, I don't really know new people either.

And if activity remains at an untenable level, I fully believe Shine that you should do yourself the favor and shut down the forum outright, with proper warning. You often mention the difficulty of keeping the website updated and considering that it's your work that keeps this running, it would be wrong of me to suggest you should do it for a community if said community isn't large enough to justify such a statement.

(08-21-2019, 09:22 AM)LoopyPanda Wrote: But! I feel like it's necessary to remind our users here that we have Suyoibot, our discord bot who lovingly notifies you on discord when new posts and threads are made. However, she doesn't notify you of EVERY new post/thread; she only looks for activity in certain forums. This feature is useless to you if you have a penchant for muting discord servers. Instead, I'd rncourage you use the old school "Subscribe to this Thread" button that hangs out at the bottom of every thread's page. You have the option to receive email notifs in addition to in-site alerts; if you are a serial muter or check your email more often, I recommend this method more. (Of course be sure your email address is updated to the site or is accessible!)

I love Suyoibot. She basically keeps tabs on all the threads for me so I don't have to. I'll be honest if it weren't for Suyoibot showing me threads were being posted in, I wouldn't be nearly as active on the forum as I don't dedicate much time to checking out threads that aren't in sections I chose to moderate. As Ploep mentioned, I would say I'm one of the active individuals on the forum who doesn't branch out. I manage my time poorly day to day and get very little done with a large amount of time, and as a result most of time spent on the forum is on things my lizard brain chose to invest in. I'll look after my own little things and stay up to date on what catches my interest and I actively look every time Suyiobot posts in the Discord, but I don't do much other than that.

Overall, I'm active on the forum when I dedicate time to it, and active on the forum where I choose to be. I try to be active enough to justify my position on the site, but considering my poor time management from past and present, I'm just doing what I can. I could devote more time to the site, I could bump up my own activity. But I'm wasting time equally everywhere already. I like to take long periods and do nothing because it soothes me.
Forum Mod, focused on Art Garden and Roleplay Park
Ends of the Earth RP | Boogaverse RP Characters.
Current controller of the Meeting of the Dark. | Mysterious Summons: Malefor, Rex Marksley.
Creative Fiction: Solarian Stories; Withered; The Death Lords; Death Knight Detective; Warframe Fan Fiction

"To the Ends of the Earth."
[+] 1 user Likes Grey Star's post
I agree that perhaps we should revamp or removed inactive boards that received little to no activity to make the website less bloated. One thing I know about new members, no one wants to join a site with many contents, but little activity to compensate that justification. We need to give them a reason for them to join.

Assuming if we do get rid of certain forums and/or merge forums together, which ones should be affected? I know the Tech Club is something easily google—and be enter in an umbrella, singular thread type of discussion.

I also agree that perhaps we should have a stricter regulation on the usage of Discord. I was feeling generous with the posting requirements (being a few times a month to keep membership). Along with features that allows Discord people to be reminded of new posts every time. Perhaps, I should allow all forum features to be posted so everyone can be alerted? Of course, it useless if you mute the serves, which Loopy addressed in her post. Don’t misunderstand—people can still use Discord, but it should not act as a suitable replacement. Otherwise, I feel no need to keep the site running if people barely post in it.

I do have a bad habit of reminding users of some things, but don’t remind users of a lot of important stuff. I remember when I asked for a logo to be made as a community effort, but nothing was being done or became silent on the issues for months, until I bite the bullet and did it on my own (to avoid coming across as strong or demanding). And of course, I’m not asking to be glue onto the screen to constantly post on the boards as well.

Quote:One thing is that you are busy with personal things out of your control, but another is using that to sneak away from posting or flat out lie. I understand life is unpredictable and things happen beyond our control, what I don't understand is when people claim they are busy... but they post a million messages on Discord/Social Media about how not busy they are. Then, when confronted about it, they have nothing to say other than excuses.

But this… I agree with this wholeheartedly. I always understand if personal issues appeared in your life, I get that feeling considering I was like this for the first 5 months of this year. But as Z said, I don’t quite understand that statement when one claims to be busy with something, then suddenly made a storm of posts/content on their social media accounts. So it come across as “it’s not that I’m busy, it’s more like I have no interest doing it”. Like, I get the whole "real-time" instant gratification deal and some people can be impatient because they want response now (although that stuff only really works in a group that actually have more than 20+ people at once). The logo thing was the biggest example of that whole "I'm Busy thing, but not really. I just didn't want to do that thing and didn't want to explain myself to you, so I stay silent".

Quote:And if activity remains at an untenable level, I fully believe Shine that you should do yourself the favor and shut down the forum outright, with proper warning. You often mention the difficulty of keeping the website updated and considering that it's your work that keeps this running, it would be wrong of me to suggest you should do it for a community if said community isn't large enough to justify such a statement.

Of course. When it gets to that point, I will shut down the forum since, and I won't beat around the bush, it's difficult to maintain the forum to run efficiently. And it's draining to run something when the site isn't being properly used the way it should been. We didn't have this problem in the beginning and we were at the right track in October - December, but something feel through.
[Image: JVqTWoz.png]

Death Hurts

Artwork: My Art
Original StoriesNo Heroes | Good Days | Carnage Hero
Social MediaTwitter | Twitch
Tech Club can be its own general thread(s) considering it is a very niche interest. The same might go for current event threads-- it's nice to be informed and all but just about every social media website with a Trending tab aggregates these articles already and it usually drains my eneegy just looking at it. I usually don't like to provide extensive commentary on events that are frankly upsetting to think about and there usually never is a productive conversation (see every single shooting incudent that comes up every month or less). It's best to probably have a Current Events thread stickied into Boogaloo Life instead of an entire forum full of depressing headlines.  Not Crying 
I think the Music forum can also be merged into Boogaloo Life... I know we're supposed to avoid one-liner type posts in there but Music Life's only got a handful of active threads that are exempt to this rule and won't really sully the overall quality. Also, music is life bros.

I frequently use Reddit for fandom-type content more than tumblr along with general RP tips and advice, so I think for the sake of drawing in new players for RP in general I'd like to look at subreddits like r/Roleplay that allow advertisements to off-site areas. I would like more than one sub to cross-post to though so if someone knows of similar spaces on Reddit that allow people to post ads, do paste the reddit names here while I get something drafted up that is also easy to read. There is a market for people who want original stuff to RP with rather than fandom-only types of games, so Boogaverse has a good chance of finding some takers. We just need to cover our bases a bit on where to look. I will emphasise we allow players to run their own games on a smaller scale, but if you want your RP promoted specifically, I'd prefer if people posted those with their own reddit accounts so I don't look like a bot. Lmao Also you should specify we do Play-By-Post RP and NOT Discord RP! They are two very different audiences.

One idea I was thinking for a potential visual/written art competition was to draw based on the artists' favorite song? It's been a while since we've had a "free choice" type of group activity.
[Image: BVJCPuD.png]
My Stuff: ArtDevil's Dishonor (Vol. 1) | Boogaverse Characters