Loopy's Art Improvement Journal
Heart 
For 2020 a big chunk of my resolutions are to make up for my lack of productivity in terms of both art and writing this year. I have a physical journal for my study goals, but it'll be easier for me to maintain the art stuff on here instead. I hope you don't mind my rambling...

Writing Goals
Devil's Dishonor: The life of teenage kids in the complicated world of the supernatural. Taking Greek mythology and the concept of demons and putting my own spin on them (which also means I take the 'canon' from these old farts and do as I please with it. lol)

I think my longest-running project was Gossamer, which I re-named to Devil's Dishonor last year. However, my motivation to write it (its 2nd iteration anyway) declined significantly over the last year due to personal things that hampered my writing progress with it. However, before I can dive back into it, there's still some 'homework' left for me to complete first.
  • 1. Character files for my main characters/groups -- I read somewhere about something called 'Character Bibles' where you basically write a lexicon of stuff that won't be explicitly revealed in the story proper so much as be used to guide how you control their actions. I think I'll make one for Olivia, Damien, and Nicor first and foremost since they are the only characters present in the storyline at this time.
  • 2. Finish writing the 'backstory' for the Underworld and the Heavenly World; I recently decided to retcon a few things about what happens to humans when they die in this world, but luckily I don't have to rewrite previous chapters since I've avoided infodumping about it to keep things at a simple pace. This requires research on my part as the basis of my main ideas, however.
  • 3. Complete a basic timeline of major events that predate the story and the future storyline(s). Mostly stuff of the Gods.
I can't reveal too much, but I will be drawing designs for the story and posting those this year (hopefully) while this is all getting done first, because I REALLY do not want to write on the seat of my pants, it's more troublesome than it's worth. But I expect it to be as lengthy as a novel.

This means, for the time being, I'm putting DD on hiatus while I get all this in order. Not sure for how long.

BUT WAIT, DON'T GO!!!
I was thinking to get back into my writing mojo in the meantime, I'd try my hand at another small project I've been playing around with the last couple of months; it hasn't got a name right now, but it's a fantasy themed series and basically I'm writing a classic adventure plot with a team of mages/witches (haven't settled on which term to use). Think of it like small sessions of adventure plots that serve significance to character development while I think about what the 'major event' should be.
-I will hint that it's based in a fictional country with various kingdoms and domains, with a set of small islands in the sea. But the story mostly takes place within a kingdom where witches/magicians have attained important roles in their societies. Also, if you've seen my OCs Asuza and Okawa in Boogaverse, they will be appearing in this project. So stay tuned bros! :3

I'll add more in later updates when I think of something else haha.

Beyond that, I'm thinking of retconning my short story called 'Vulcan Bride' and making that a short story collection as well to include a new OC I made for it.
There is also the unnamed Lambdadelta/Bernkastel fanfiction I'm currently planning out in my brain... lots of projects to juggle but I definitely want this one to be finished with my Devil's Dishonor story!

Art/Drawing

For OC-related art, I decided to give myself these small goals that warm me up to the big one. Fullbodies that are updated forms of my various OCs is in order... I want to make simplified reference sheets though.
  • I'm definitely making some for my Devil's Dishonor oCs, so expect some Scary (or pretty...) Demon people soon :)
  • Eleanor, my Boogaverse OC who I haven't actually finalized the design for yet... I should get on that. Lol
  • Grimmy, my latest OC whom I love rn. She will be given a separate oneshot of her own when I show you guys what she looks like! I hope people like her :p
  • Mioi and Azumi... I think I'll be drawing out-of-context panels of them doing kooky things and getting into trouble as visitors to Earth from Mars. Except, they aren't from the Mars we know and love ... huh? Oh, I mean, they're DEFINITELY from Earth! Totally...
The LambdaBern fic also will include some designs from me that fit in with the content I'm looking to write, since it predates the events of Umineko. If you're a Higurashi fan, I think you will like the fanart!

Art To-Dos:
  • Updated designs: Vala, Asuza
  • Underworld metal band: Nemesis, Hypnos, Eris, Keres

Areas of Study:
  • Anatomy/Proportions
  • Hands (slowly improving I think)
  • Coloring/shading style
  • Clothing design
  • Food/Objects
  • Backgrounds!
Eleanor not having an official design is the biggest crime you have ever committed. How am I suppose to draw waifus without a base, huh!? Wagh

That fantasy adventure story sounds like a neat idea! I'm assuming this will be a short story? Since I think writing small scales stories will actually help you in the long run when you tackle huge ones. If any event, I can't wait to see your progression and will be cheering you on :p
[Image: E4FumGf.png]

Ruthless Carnage. Rip & Tear. No Mercy.
Art in Avatar & Signature Commissioned by Ploep & Panich Respectively

Original StoriesNo Heroes | Good Days | Carnage Hero
Art Archive: Art Box | Twitter | Instagram
(01-02-2020, 02:49 PM)ShineCero Wrote: Eleanor not having an official design is the biggest crime you have ever committed. How am I suppose to draw waifus without a base, huh!? Wagh

That fantasy adventure story sounds like a neat idea! I'm assuming this will be a short story? Since I think writing small scales stories will actually help you in the long run when you tackle huge ones. If any event, I can't wait to see your progression and will be cheering you on :p
IT'S HARD DOOD! I changed her hairstyle each time I doodled her! Still kind of debating on what kinda outfit to give her but I'll probably go with a jumpsuit type of thing

And yeah, I want them to be small short stories that kind of are like episodic things. Nothing beyond 4-5 chapters per adventure (each chapter would be fairly lengthy of course) at the most. No huge storyline, just think of it as a "Tales of" typa thing. It would allow me to create my own world and use it fully from any angle (political espionage, helping the little villages, getting a request from the King to accomplish, etc). Things that would sustain me creatively without bearing down too much.
If I don't see more Olivia fanart or Mioi belittling my fashion sense, I will very upset. B| 

I would love to see you dish out some more works, specifically the adventure/fantasy story you have. Super curious as to what you have in store for us. Maybe you can make little paragraphs of whatever comes to your mind. It helps me out and I don't lose my ideas. Mental notes go a long way! As for your art, I would love to see anything you push out. I miss your drawings and I want to see your new and old OCs. I would recommend making short 1-page comics about them (maybe for the lols) but I don't know if the program you use makes it easy for you to make comics.
[Image: MbVtHfX.jpg]
"They Call Me the 'Vibe Checker', Sweetie..."
(01-03-2020, 06:05 PM)~ Z ~ Wrote: If I don't see more Olivia fanart or Mioi belittling my fashion sense, I will very upset. B| 

I would love to see you dish out some more works, specifically the adventure/fantasy story you have. Super curious as to what you have in store for us. Maybe you can make little paragraphs of whatever comes to your mind. It helps me out and I don't lose my ideas. Mental notes go a long way! As for your art, I would love to see anything you push out. I miss your drawings and I want to see your new and old OCs. I would recommend making short 1-page comics about them (maybe for the lols) but I don't know if the program you use makes it easy for you to make comics.

Olivia will arrive shortly... right after I make an obligatory holiday-themed picture of her before I finish the picture of her baking (I really should finish it for pete's sakes...)

SAI is kind of a pain to make comic panels from scratch, but my old Manga Studio can do presets. The problem with working on such an outdated program I haven't touched in 7 years is that it's become about as intuitive as a brick to me. No idea how I was able to work this thing back then, but it definitely aged like milk now that CSP is dominating the market. I'm pretty sure ibisPaintX will let me create panels with far less hassle for free, so I think I'll give that a try. I dislike wasting paper just to draw boxes here and there.
But yeah, 1-2 page comics of them goofing about was what I was going to go with. Just have to suck it up and work around it for now!
I'm happy to report that I finally got an idea for the Mioi story/comic thingie!

Soft sci-fi is much easier to work with than hard sci-fi for me, so a lot of what the story focuses on is more character-centered than anything else. Much of it is going to take some stuff I wrote for Galactic Ruins before I abandoned the RP. Here is what I have written so far as a premise:

"In the Omicron Galaxy, tensions are heavy ever since the rise of Scorpius, a crime syndicate of androids and cyborgs who traded their original bodies for cybernetics. They are led by Genma Platt, a high-profile terror who has decided that the galaxy's resources belong better running under an oligarchy of people who left behind their mortality. Despite pressure from the galaxy's forces of resistance, Scorpius strikes again but begins their siege on Mars Epsilon with catastrophic results, forcing Princess Octavia to flee with one of her sentry guards, Mioi Marsev. Though, they inadvertently take a street ruffian with them named Azumi, who was arrested by Mioi and awaiting to be shipped off to a holding cell for illegal hoverbike racing and sale of scrap ship parts no civilian should have.

They escape by speeding off into hyperspace, but in their haste to flee, the ship encounters a wormhole that spits them out into the Milky Way Galaxy. The only habitable planet for light years is a planet called "Earth", and they cannot attempt hyperspace travel again since the hyperspace drive was severely damaged in the process of escaping. Using the backup combustion drive installed, they are able to reach Earth and land in the outskirts of "Metrohub City," discovering that they not only ended up in a different galaxy, but in a different time period-- almost 900 years backwards (20XX)!

In order to repair the hyperspace drive, they will have to live among Earthlings undercover while trying to reestablish contact with Mioi's superior, Commander Aurelia. Although Genma is a threat that demands all hands on deck, Mioi's last order was to protect the Princess at all costs should Genma attempt to follow them. Princess Octavia is a potential target since she is the Empress's only child.

But until they can even think about repairing the drive, they'll have to figure out where to get the money to buy anything at all! Things will be hard living in comparatively primitive times, with a petty criminal as a roommate to boot."

Also, to stick with the meme, Whitney the prized BGV NPC is going to be in this comic. YEEHAW!

Writing the dialogue will be easy, but putting that into a paneled comic doesn't seem nearly as easy. Especially when the one program I have that was made to streamline such a thing can't do it without crashing every 5 minutes. I also apparently cannot open exported PSDs in Photoshop or anywhere else. I'll try reinstalling this at a later time to see if the issue is fixed... if not, I guess I'll have to do things the old school way!
AWWW YISSSS, Mioi's back and she's even more sassy. I demand more. B| xDD I also would like to see a drawing of Gemma since he's NOT TRASH and he's an AMAZING Spider-butt goonie. I kinda wanna give it a shot in drawing Gemma but I kinda forgot my old drawing of him. He probably changed a bit throughout the years, so I'll wait until the Sexy Spider-Butt slides into my DMs and into your art thread. xDD But yeah, I like the idea and the concept you have for Galactic Ruins (If you're still going to call it that) and sounds like you got your bases covered. Keep it up! 

As for Whitney, I can't wait to see the ultimate crossover with my bae Mioi and my other bae Whitney! I WANT THIS NOW DAMNIT!  Wagh
[Image: MbVtHfX.jpg]
"They Call Me the 'Vibe Checker', Sweetie..."
It's probably going to have a different name than GR did, especially since this comic is going to be mostly lighter in heart than something as ominous sounding as the older title. I can't really say how different Genma will look because I haven't drawn him in full detail before... he'll probably need a few design adjustments though, but I promise he will still have a huge bum ?

Whitney having to babysit aliens is a funny gag I can't stop thinking about, so as ever she'll be totally oblivious to the fact aliens eat at her diner for maximum memeage.