Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aborting a Child due to Genetic Disease Right or Wrong?
One of the more hot button of birth is when facing the fact that genetic diseases can occurred. Genetic Diseases can occur in children and there are various of them. Child with genetic diseases (depends of what it is) can leave them unable to function, cannot contribute to society, will likely suffer (ranging from mental to physical) and in extreme cases, won't live for very long.

Thus, bring onto this question. When faced with the knowledge that your child will have some form of genetic disease, would you chose to abort it?
[Image: JVqTWoz.png]

Death Hurts

Artwork: My Art
Original StoriesNo Heroes | Good Days | Kaiju Man
Social MediaTwitter | Twitch
(01-11-2016, 05:53 PM)ShineCero Wrote: One of the more hot button of birth is when facing the fact that genetic diseases can occurred. Genetic Diseases can occur in children and there are various of them. Child with genetic diseases (depends of what it is) can leave them unable to function, cannot contribute to society, will likely suffer (ranging from mental to physical) and in extreme cases, won't live for very long.

Thus, bring onto this question. When faced with the knowledge that your child will have some form of genetic disease, would you chose to abort it?

This is entirely up to the parent and probably the only way I'll ever respect someone's decision about abortion if faced with these extreme circumstances. Nowadays abortion is seen as a way out with the constantly over used excuse "It's my body so I can do whatever I want". This situation as I said is up t the parents ALONE. It makes sense to consider this if the possibility of mental and physical suffering is there.
Quote:"There is nothing about this whole scenario that doesn't make me so disgusted I want to violently vomit out my own internal organs. I despise you both so intensely that I can't tell if my vision is blurry from my near-death experience or my unforgiving rage. If allowed, once I am back to full health, I will gut you with an honest-to-God smile on my face. And then proceed to paint the home I built with your bodies with your very blood."
 -Bardock
                                                     [Image: latest?cb=20140830052708]      
I'm with Spinal. It's up to the parents whether they want to or not. I don't want kids, so it's not something I should ever have to deal with.

If I would do it in that situation? I'd consider it.
[Image: heracross.gif]
There might not be true heroes anymore, but that doesn't mean I can't try!
I would consider having to.

Because not only would the child have to be prepared to suffer extensively or live a short life, the parent has to be prepared for it in many ways. If it were to have a short life, I would consider aborting it because most parents already form some bond of a form eith the child before it's born, and it's too much to force both to suffer before facing the event of death. Financially and mentally it can also be too much of a burden on the entire family. Not everyone has the capability of caring for a child with chronic conditions that likely cause constant suffering on the child.

Forcing a child to live suffering constantly is also something I wouldn't do. And it isn't guaranteed that letting them live with such an extreme chronic condition won't affect their happiness with life.

It's not a snap decision, but I would consider terminating the pregnancy if the disease would have such a negative effect. If it were minor, then maybe not. 

I however don't plan on having kids for quite a while. If at all. It wouldn't be something I would be sure of taking on either. Sometimes I hear that people not prepared for the possibility of such condition shouldn't have any children at all, but it's too guilt-trippy a statement imo. You can't force the parents to care for a child with a condition they aren't financially, physically, or psychologically prepared to support. The decision is up to the parents and to judge someone for it is a bit close-minded.
[Image: BVJCPuD.png]
My Stuff: ArtDevil's Dishonor (Vol. 1) | Boogaverse Characters
#rape mention // 
#abuse mention //

- - -

I agree that it's ethnically acceptable for the pregnant individual to decide whether or not their unborn should be aborted over extreme genetic disease. 

I might as well explain my stance on abortion as a whole, I agree that it's ethically acceptable to abort life in general before any extent of higher brain functions develop as I don't consider organisms to be truly alive beyond basic cell function unless there's sentience present. Victims of rape should be given the immediate opportunity to abort if they become pregnant from the attack, however I feel like once the life is developed enough to have sentience, the abortion window is over for such a scenario. I don't particularly care for people that consciously have unprotected sex and then get an abortion afterwards, but I agree with abortions in that scenario over letting someone that irresponsible take up the role of a parent, it's just suffering for the child in one way or another.

If abortion is called into question again when a life has developed some extent of higher brain function, then I'm more critical about this. If the unborn is diagnosed with a terminal condition, or an extreme chronic condition, then I agree it's ethically acceptable to abort. In the terminal illness scenario, it would be more overall tragic to bring the child into the world only to have to suffer through the trauma of them passing away, and in some cases, the child may painfully suffer until death depending on the exact condition. It's an absolutely horrible scenario, and having the option of abortion denied for such a situation is terribly inhuman. As for the extreme chronic condition scenario, it's inhuman to bring a child into the world if their guardian(s) is/are unable to give them the proper care that they need; physical, mental, and emotional needs. Sometimes giving proper care to such a child is horribly expensive, sometimes guardians lack the personality needed to be sensible for such an intense situation; regardless, guardians that cannot take care of such a child should not have that child, as it would just be more suffering for the child in the long run.

I also find pregnancy termination acceptable if the pregnant individual becomes ill with a condition that's worsened by being pregnant to the point of being life-threatening. With third trimester pregnancies though, I feel like it should definitely be considered to induce early labor with extreme caution before abortion is even discussed.

As somebody that has the ability to become pregnant, as much as I wish to become pregnant and have children, I feel like it would be immoral for me to. I'm mentally ill, and quite honestly I suspect I was genetically predisposed to developing my illnesses as I see mental health problems affect just about everyone in my immediate family. I feel like it would be inherently abusive for me to have a child under such a circumstance; I cannot bring a child into this world with the likelihood that they're going to suffer in the same ways I have. I do have a chronic condition and quite honestly it might have been better if I was aborted. 

Lastly, I don't really see having the child and then putting them up for adoption as an alternative to abortion, I really don't. Not enough people adopt children as is and it's not as if you're guaranteeing a fulfilling life for that child in such a scenario, all that you're guaranteeing that they're alive for some indefinite amount of time and quite honestly that might be horrendous. 

That's my depressing, albeit pro-choice stance on abortion.
[Image: ziF205V.png]